Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous poll on cleaning clutches has me completely confused. It seems to have devolved into a discussion on gearing now so I thought I would try this again in a new topic...

I have a completely brand new machine with two brand new belts. The faces of the primary and secondary seem pretty clean but there are a few little oily patches on them. What should I do before taking this out for it's first spin?

Over on dootalk there is a lot of talk about new machines blowing belts. The dealer told me to take it easy for the first 30 mi or so on a new belt to 'break it in' or I will shred it. I am hoping their problems are related to improper break-in and conditioning of the belts and maybe not cleaning oil off of the clutches...

Sounds like everyone is cleaning the belts with a little soap and water and a scrub brush - I don't think this is where the disagreement is. The solvent people are not using solvent on the belts right?

Sounds like there are two camps on cleaning the clutches themselves - one side says soap and water there, the other says some sort of solvent (acetone or brake cleaner).

I assume I only need to clean the faces of the sheaves (is that the right term?) to make sure there is no oil present since there is no belt dust anywhere yet. Sounds like they may spin out additional oil for a little while so I should do this after each ride for a little while. Is this correct?

I am not looking to open a new can of worms here. I just want to make sure I understand the basis of both points of view and hopefully keep from blowing an $80 belt each time I go out...

thanks!
dave

PS - 7" of snow in Tofte, MN yesterday!!! That is only 30 mi from where the sled will be living this winter! :) :)

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Spray some brake clean on a rag and wipe the sheaves off to remove any oils. Be sure this is done with the belt off. After it dries, take a green scotchbrite pad and scuff the faces of the sheave real good(primary and secondary). While the belt is off, scuff the face of the belt with the scotchbrite too. Reintall and take it easy for atleast 30 miles. No big holeshots, no deep snow and noe wide open runs.
Belts are big dollars, and you need to look at the clutch faces and belt everytime you go out. Use the scotchbrite on the faces to deglaze them as well as the belt after a hard days riding. Your belt should last a long time with a little care

Brian

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
no wipe after you scotchbrite? last step for me always is acetone the faces/sheaves, well before I re-install the belt. that maybe why you have not beat my 700 with the built 800 w00t , joking man or am I :crazy: .

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
As said, clean the belt with dish soap and water (no chlorine chemicals). Rule of thumb for rubber products is if the cleaner is corrosive to your skin then it's no good for rubber drive belts. I contacted GoodYear and found out that newer belt production uses soap based release agents so warm water and scrub brush should be enough to remove residue.

·
4,440 Posts
still confused? I would say this means there is only 1 way to do it, your way. live with your results. for those that don't know I was joking with mxzwfo he did outrun me last year. took years and lots of motor work but it got done. getting good at stirring. ready to run Brian? :p

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
no wipe after you scotchbrite? last step for me always is acetone the faces/sheaves, well before I re-install the belt. that maybe why you have not beat my 700 with the built 800 w00t , joking man or am I :crazy: .[/b]
Yes, what Barry said, wipe the faces with acetone after. :D

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yes, what Barry said, wipe the faces with acetone after. :D[/b]
One more thing I do with my new belts is run them through the dishwasher. Wife doesn't know I do it either. LOL.... Wait till she is sleeping or gone. Works great!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
still confused? I would say this means there is only 1 way to do it, your way. live with your results. for those that don't know I was joking with mxzwfo he did outrun me last year. took years and lots of motor work but it got done. getting good at stirring. ready to run Brian? :p[/b]
Yup, we always poke fun with Brian. Even when he rodeos over the bridges in Newberry, thank goodness he wears a tekvest now. LOL... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
644 Posts
True soaps are grease or oil based. Detergents are not. However, either may degrade rubber products. That said, there are "soaps" used to help in working with rubber products, tires, release agents, etc. If a belt manufacturer uses such a product and then markets the belt with that product still thereon and doesn't specifically state that it should be removed, then why remove it? I have never washed a belt even though the inner and outer surfaces sometimes feel slippery. The cut edges are always dry and they work well right from the get-go. The sheaves, on the other hand, can sometimes have stray oil or grease on them. That should, of course, be removed. I would avoid detergents or soaps so as to avoid either etching or "greasing" the sheaves.

Belt break-in can be important. Gradual warming is probably a more important factor than anything else along with being careful not to get it hot - early on especially. Good belts will last a very long time on a properly set up machine. Making sure the clutch and belt are both moving when getting into the throttle can be very important when a lot of horsepower is involved.

A belt will usually last for several thousand miles as long as it doesn't overheat or slip too much.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! That helps a lot.

I plan on getting a service (shop) manual but they will not be available until mid-December at the earliest. With a little luck I will get to ride it before I get the manual in my hands! :)

dave

·
4,440 Posts
Why sure....Sled runs better this year than last, FYI :wink:[/b]
remember I am not on a zx 700 now. not sure it will be ,it should be faster. I just talked with joe and got one of his kits coming :whistling: . dlaine dynamoe joe said he was going to be gone till the 10th doing a test session with the xp so keep that in mind.

·
10,054 Posts
you all run on Brian for rodeoing the bridge in Newberry,,, I still see him running straight through the curve in Newberry,,, I wasnt sure what was going on,,, All I knew was the trail went left, Brian went straight,,, minute I realized he was fine and sled wasnt hurt, I couldnt help but to laugh,,,, what I wouldnt have done to have a video of that one!!!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
you all run on Brian for rodeoing the bridge in Newberry,,, I still see him running straight through the curve in Newberry,,, I wasnt sure what was going on,,, All I knew was the trail went left, Brian went straight,,, minute I realized he was fine and sled wasnt hurt, I couldnt help but to laugh,,,, what I wouldnt have done to have a video of that one!!![/b]
The bridge thing I would like to forget about...Having a sled vertical at 90mph is no fun. Lesson learned.

Driving through the curve was do to the precision skis that WERE on my sled that dont bite at all in ANY loose snow. Didnt take me long to change them ski,s out. lesson learned again :)

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
The bridge thing I would like to forget about..[/b]
Somehow I don't think that's going to happen..lol Wish I would have been there to see this. Like Brian said, after I knew you were ok, I would have laughed forever ! LOL

Snow4

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
WD-40 :p

·
4,440 Posts
WD-40 :p[/b]
now I thought you said it was snake oil. what gives :wink: ? mis leading someone. :lmao:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The bridge thing I would like to forget about...Having a sled vertical at 90mph is no fun. Lesson learned.

Driving through the curve was do to the precision skis that WERE on my sled that dont bite at all in ANY loose snow. Didnt take me long to change them ski,s out. lesson learned again :)[/b]
Brian, you can forget about them, but the rest of us remember like it was yesterday. LOL..... Ummm, as far as the lesson learned thing..... We will see what this year brings. LOL.. :D Now that your sled is ported and ready to rock!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts