Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this will hopefully be my first year running snocross and a few hillcross events. am i out of my mind trying to racing a consumer sled or is this done often. i'm hoping to run in an open class 800cc limit so i guess the real question is put money into a consumer sled or am i better off looking for a used racing sled.

·
Registered
181 Posts
sometimes there are pretty good deals on one year old open mod sleds-$5500-6500 or maybe less. on ebay or locally

my guess is that a one year old race sled would be more competitive-better suspension and race geometry

good luck either way

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is going to be my first year racing sno-cross. I have rode polaris all my pretty much all my life and bought a 2000 440 edge racing sled last year and trail rode it and just bought a 2002 Pro X 440 liquid to race this year for sure. I would get a used race sled you can find good deals on them the have a lot more bottum end power which you need for sno-cross and are built to take a major pounding. Just dont get any farther behind than a 3 year old race sled because you are starting to lack power and strength in the sled. What type of sled are you racing, what brand.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you are just running a few races in the beginner class or something. It probably doesn't matter too much. Last year I saw a guy riding a 96 or so EXT and he won his heat! Pretty funny to watch him beat up on the newer snocross sleds.
Just remember you need your sled to comply to some rules so you can race. Like a tether kill switch and maybe a few other things. I believe a new ski rule this year too.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I think if you are a good rider a consumer sled set up properly will work just fine, As of just a few years ago that is what the pro's used. I think a pro-x or an mxz would be just fine. its really all in the set-up and how good you are.

·
Registered
852 Posts
If your gonna sno x get a year old sled, its gonna get if not mangled at least hurt so its instantly going to depreciate esecially if your not getting racer price from your dealer which is hard to doo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts