Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to post this question on the general forum!

Looking to buy a new sled, 99 and up. Don't have deep pockets, probably max 4 grand CND. Was looking into AC ZR or F7.

But, my brother is a die hard yami owner and wants me to go that way. My other brother says go with doo!

What should i do?

Convince me?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
252 Posts
buy a polaris or arctic cat :rolleyes: sorry had to do it lol.what i would doo is maybe try a bunch of different makes and models out.they may not have the same likes or dislikes that you have,so the ultimate descision is yours and yours alone.it all depends which one you like the best.we are looking for newer ones as well and so far i have changed my mind 3 times.i love the doo's,and then i thought the newer cats were the way to go.tried out a polaris today,all 3 have something i like.its a tough thing to do but gotta choose just one.

·
Registered
593 Posts
buy a polaris or arctic cat :rolleyes: sorry had to do it lol.what i would doo is maybe try a bunch of different makes and models out.they may not have the same likes or dislikes that you have,so the ultimate descision is yours and yours alone.it all depends which one you like the best.we are looking for newer ones as well and so far i have changed my mind 3 times.i love the doo's,and then i thought the newer cats were the way to go.tried out a polaris today,all 3 have something i like.its a tough thing to do but gotta choose just one.[/b]

It really depends on what you want. Arctic Cats are fast, the F7 is crazy fast but in my opinion they break more often. Ski-doo's or polaris would be my vote. You could get a 01,02,03 zx chassis, 6 7 8 hundred for about 4 grand, and those sleds are great.

JMHO

·
Registered
657 Posts
Limiting yourself to $4,000 is a big thing. With that budget, your best bet is to test ride whatever you can and at least find out which riding style suits you best, and go from there. I've only owned Polaris, so I can't suggest which to get for you, but basically you're going to have to do some of your own research before buying. AND RESEARCH! How many people buy machines before discovering something such as the engine my be faulty from factory. Don't skim some mags and say you did your research. You're already on the right track: ask around. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
when i was looking to buy a sled i didnt know what i wanted, i knew i wanted a ski-doo and could only spend around 3000, so i did my research and i came across this nice ski-doo mxz 600(99), what drew me to it was the chassis(zx) it was the first year they made the zx chassis and i really liked it so i decided i wanted one. i kept my look out for one in the auto trader and super shopper and a few weeks ago i found one and i bought it for $3200, and i think i made a good decision, nice suspension and good power and looks excellent :thumbsup: so if you can narrow it down to what type of sled you want (ski-doo,polaris,arctic cat,yamaha) you can reasearch all the sleds they made from 99 and up, it will help you alot.

good luck,

citation-83

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Depends what you are after, speed, comfortable ride, fuel economy, first across the lake etc.... Tell us your riding expectations.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
hmmm i think i would go with a YAMMI OR SKI DOO. because :lookaround: when it breaks down you call call your brother to get his ### over and help you fix it. :thumbsup:

my vote would be ski doo they have better suspension than yamaha. But i do like yammi sleds though they are quick reliable sleds.

·
Registered
252 Posts
very good point cory.you see this is where mrs wisz and myself are caught in a rutt. we both love the comfort and feel of the rev chasis. i like power although i don't use it alot i like to know its there. mrs. wisz only cruises she don't like the power or the lower winsheild on the doos (easy fix i know).but she hates the colours on the doo's and arctic cats.but myself colour isn't a huge issue. we found a pair of arctic cat sabre cats awesome sleds very comfy but didn't offer as nice of ride as the doos.the polaris sleds are alright but neither of us were real excited about what we saw. so you see it is a hard thing to pick the right one,but i want to make sure its the right choice as you will never get what you spend back in resale if you make the wrong choice.and we are not in the habbit of buy and sell every other year,we ride them till they are finished. we now have a pair of 93 polaris indys we are selling,not because they are finished,but our bodies can't handle the older suspension.so in our case the suspension is the number 1 thing we are looking for. hope this will help you a little in your hard choice you are about to make.

·
Registered
117 Posts
go for the PoPos haha they rock, plus it will be great feeling of knowing your brothers are looking at your back the whole ride :) haha Go for an indy, amazingly attractive looking snowmobiles, fast and great on the corners and bumps. I still like the wedge design more than i like the classics and the fusions...Just dont buy a tripe haha thats my one warning

·
Registered
252 Posts
why not a triple? thats what i have, i've got almost 8500 miles on it never had an ounch of trouble with it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
very good point cory.you see this is where mrs wisz and myself are caught in a rutt. we both love the comfort and feel of the rev chasis. i like power although i don't use it alot i like to know its there. mrs. wisz only cruises she don't like the power or the lower winsheild on the doos (easy fix i know).but she hates the colours on the doo's and arctic cats.but myself colour isn't a huge issue. we found a pair of arctic cat sabre cats awesome sleds very comfy but didn't offer as nice of ride as the doos.the polaris sleds are alright but neither of us were real excited about what we saw. so you see it is a hard thing to pick the right one,but i want to make sure its the right choice as you will never get what you spend back in resale if you make the wrong choice.and we are not in the habbit of buy and sell every other year,we ride them till they are finished. we now have a pair of 93 polaris indys we are selling,not because they are finished,but our bodies can't handle the older suspension.so in our case the suspension is the number 1 thing we are looking for. hope this will help you a little in your hard choice you are about to make.[/b]
Dad has the same issue with his bad back, which is why although he's a huge Cat fan (and I mean huge... he'd try to buy one even if he had to declare bankruptcy) he loves the IQ chassis, and prefers the look of the Fusion (same chassis). Polaris has the smoothest and most comfortable ride with perhaps the best suspension setup. So if you have issues with bad backs or simply want a smooth ride, Doo is not the machine to buy. It's too light in the back end, and although it makes it easier to get unstuck, does not offer the smoothest ride because of it.

But don't take my word for it... http://pi54.com/PurePolaris/PDF/07600HOSnowGoer.pdf

·
Registered
657 Posts
why not a triple? thats what i have, i've got almost 8500 miles on it never had an ounch of trouble with it.[/b]
My guess is that due to the fact that triples were discontinued their parts are getting harder and harder to find and equally more and more expensive when/if you do have problems with them. I dunno, that's just a guess.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Dad has the same issue with his bad back, which is why although he's a huge Cat fan (and I mean huge... he'd try to buy one even if he had to declare bankruptcy) he loves the IQ chassis, and prefers the look of the Fusion (same chassis). Polaris has the smoothest and most comfortable ride with perhaps the best suspension setup. So if you have issues with bad backs or simply want a smooth ride, Doo is not the machine to buy. It's too light in the back end, and although it makes it easier to get unstuck, does not offer the smoothest ride because of it.

But don't take my word for it... http://pi54.com/PurePolaris/PDF/07600HOSnowGoer.pdf[/b]
You're kidding, right?

·
Registered
593 Posts
You're kidding, right?[/b]

:withstupid:

Doos have awsome rides as well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
well imo the doo i took out had 10 times the ride of the poo.i have been a polaris freak since i was old enough to say the word.and i almost had to be handcuffed to the doo to try it out.but once i went for a ripp,now i know why i was always called [email protected]#thead.i guess if you sit on a pile of poo long enough :lookaround: .lol anyway ski doo is miles ahead of polaris in many ways and this is coming from the person who told his oldest boy when he said the word ski doo in my house he would get his mouth washed out with soap. if you don't believe mw take a doo out for a real good test ride and i bet you will change your mind to.

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
lets not slam manufacturers but try to help the guy out.

What kind of Riding are you even wanting to do on this sled?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just don't buy a sled based on the name on the side. Make your decision like there's a plain black hood on all of them. You will be happiest with the best sled for you not the best name or color. For $4'000 I'd go with an edge chassis Polaris 700. I like the 700 for the power and it was better or the same on gas than the 600's of the same year. I like Ski doo also but you won't get a rev for that cheap and I'm not a fan of the zx chassis compared to the edge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm looking for a fairly aggressive trail sled, love rippin around the twisties! Also, has to have decent power, need to keep up to my bros 03 SXViper 700, she goes pretty quick, lots of reserve power. I see ALOT of Doos out there, seem very liked? I really like the styling of the 2000 and up ZRs as well, but not as important i guess than suspension and power

Thanks for the input/help

1 - 20 of 20 Posts