Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '94 XLT SP. I keep losing coolant out of the filler cap. I replaced the filler neck, filter, and flushed/filled system. The cap was new last season (only a few rides old!). I ran the sled to get good and warm, bled all the air out, and no leaks! However, after I shut it off, I lifted the back to inspect track, etc., and out comes coolant!! Last year I had to ride stopping every half-hour to refill to keep from blowing. I am very discouraged about this. Can anyone HELP?!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Maybe you have a bad cap and the new one leaks have you made sure that the head is not leaking around the spark plug holes there is o-rings down there that like to leak. The o-ring's go between the head and the head cover. ;)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Are you sure 98xc700?
The 95 special that I have worked on has o-rings it is not one piece. That is why the aftermarket kit comes with just domes not the complete head. ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Your right xc600. The cover they call a water jacket cover and the one piece head is underneath it. The head gasket I believe is a one piece and the rubber "O" rings go around the plug holes btween the head and the cover like you said ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Are you sure you don't have a coolant hose leaking under the engine? Kind of a hard spot to check, but carry a rag with you and keep wiping and checking as you get out on your first blast around the yard. :sly:

·
Registered
959 Posts
go to your local wal-mart and get some leakstop for radiators poor it in run it for about 10 min and the let it sit for about 2 hours to set in ( providing theres not a huge hole) thsi works pretty good i had a small leak in my radiator of my bros car and we fixed it with that all better now

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here is something I did when I want to find my leak. I need to presurerise the cooling system. Fire up your air compressor put on the attachment that blows air. Hook up your over flow hose on you coolant bottle to the end of the attachment and there u go. With it pressured up it was easy to see were the leak was for me it was squirting out of the hose under the engine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
98xc700 I know the 93 XLT has o rings for head gaskets. I'm not sure about the 94 but I would almost put money on it the 94 is the same. The head cover is one peace but there are 3 heads under it. Riley

·
Registered
282 Posts
It could be 3 seperate heads. The shop manual I was looking in showed the head itself as a one piece. not sure though on the year. ???

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'm not sure where the leak would come from as i'm a doo guy.But DOO NOT add coolant stop leak to your snowmobile engine or a car engine for that matter.That stuff does more harm than good ;)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Depending on the year and model of mono block it could have a one piece head with a water cover over it or three seperate heads with a one piece water cover. Either way it has a water cover that covers up the head/heads.

Never use stop leak of anysort as it will plug up the heatexchangers etc.

Are you sure it is coming from the rad cap? If so it is possible you got a bad one. Also the monoblocks with the rad caps directly on top of the head were notorius for the caps going bad from vibration.

Also places to check are were the hoses go through the bulk head as they has a tendencey to rub through against the rough opening if the corregated cover that protected them came out of place.

Also when pressure testing the system do not exceed the recomend pressure that is listed on the rad cap and I believe that is about 12 psi. You can go to any automotive parts/tool outlet and get a proper cooling system pressure tester.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm siding with the RAT on that one, especially on the pressure testing part. DO NOT use the air hose idea, if you don't have a serious leak now you will by the time your finished. Just my 02.

:)
Sled

1 - 13 of 13 Posts