Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 polaris indy 440, which has 5500 miles on it.  I haven't repalced a part yet.  But know I have a problem.  It is losing coolant, and I can't find any place where it is leaking.  I have filled it 3 times in the last 3 days with coolant and it keeps using it.  Could I have A cracked cylinder sleeve.  Also it loses all power sometimes and just won't move.

·
Registered
33 Posts
U may have a head gasket leak. Pretty hard to tell probably only leak under pressure. U can pull your plugs pull it over and see if any coolant comes out of the plug hole. U you still can't find the problem I would take the head off and replace the head gasket to be safe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the same problem with a 97 XLT. It was leaking at a coolant hose connection under the motor. It would leak and drain out the bottom of the sled through the hole in the belly pan so I could never find where it was coming from.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had an 84  600 and could not find the leak. I bought another coolant cap, drilled a hole in it and threaded a hose quick connect on. Hooked up some air at about 20 psi and let it sit there with the plugs out. I had a pin hole  leak in a hose under the exhaust. It had rubbed through on a belly pan rivet. When ever I get a new sled now I put a piece of 1" foam rubber pipe insulation around those hoses.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of your help.  I have found the leak and repaired it.  It has a hose rubbing against the motor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
YEAH I JUST FIXED MY HOSE BECAUSE IT WAS RUBBING AGAINST THE ENGINE, BUT NOW I AM FIXING MY CENTER RADIATOR AND BULK HEAD AND DRIVE SHAFT, BUT HOOKING UP THOSE STUPID HOSES ON THE RADIATOR SUCK THEY ARE HARD IF I HADN'T HAD TO TAKE THE REST OF MY SLED APART AND THOSE HOSES HAD LEAKED I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY PUT THEM DUMB THINGS ON IT REALLY TIGHT IN THERE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts