Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was up in Munising and put about 250 miles on over 4 days with no problems.  After the sled sat overnight I went for a ride and the temp guage needle kept climbing so I slowed down and took it easy back to the house.  What could have caused this?  The other four days of riding the needle would climb to a certain spot and would never move, even in extended runs on trails which were mainly ice.  It never reached the red zone but it was getting closer than I was comfortable considering it was far below it before and never moved.  What should I check?

·
Registered
43 Posts
IMO....
Check if you're burning coolant and also take off the radiator cap (when it is cold don't want to burn yourself with hot coolant) when running to see if some of the cylinders compression being leaked into the cooling system.... could have a bad oring/gasket on the head.....

~Matt

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
You did everything to cause overheating.  

For one you ran it on icy conditions.  And when the needle started to climb you slowed down.  

When your riding on icy conditions always look for snow on the sides and when you go through it go fast.  Also maintain a higher speed.   THe faster you go the more snow and wind on the exchangers.  

Also there is a additive that you can put in your coolent.  RED LINE Water Wetter.  This stuff will help on the ice.  

A coolent leak could be the cause but a leak to effect the temps would be huge.  There would be white clouds of steam coming out the exhaust and the coolent would drop at least one inch after a 3H run.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I immediately rode along the side of the trail to kick snow into the exchangers and i was still doing a good 50mph.  I was riding the same conditions the day before without the temp rise.  Thermostat failure?  Water pump failure?  I don't think I'll get to ride it again this season but I'd hate to put it away in unknown condition.

I just checked the hyfax that I replaced just before the ride and they have a lot of wear right by the two sets of wheels in the middle.  Is this a problem with the sc-10 skid?  I don't think the track is too tight since it was ratcheting if I punched it in powder.  The exciter that was riding the same conditions didn't show nearly as much wear and the hyfax have about 800 miles on them.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Could very well be a faulty thermostat. I don't think the SC-10 is any more prone to hifax wear than any other skid.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i owned a 96 f3 and the temp would climb on long high-speed runs.  Put Redline water Wetter in and the problem disappeared; the stuff works.  Although it would be wise to locate the cause of your problem, investing in Water wetter would be a wise move.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Was the rear heat exchanger hot?If it is then you have coolant flow if it's cool then you have a problem.If your system is full of coolant and no flow to the exchanger it most likely is a faulty stat.If the cooling system hasn't been opened
or had any major usage i highly doubt it is an air lock as they very rarely develop on there own.I actually had the stat go on my 01 mxz 800 this year and it was a new on installed with the recall.Rode about 50km,shut it down for about 10 min and she was overheating.The stat actually came apart in three pieces
First and hopefully last time that happens.Good luck.
Oh i almost forgot to mention that the sending units for the gauge and idiot light have two differnt resistance values which means a gauge will show an overheat while the idiot light will not yet come on.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sounds like a faulty Stat to me!!! I'm not familiar with the Redline Wetter stuff, but it sounds like good stuff, not sure where to buy it, hopefully a dealer has it, or maybe an auto parts store??? I'm going to look for some... DooZ....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts