Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that summer is upon us the harley's are out in full force. Straight pipes seem to be more common than not!
Why arnd't the cop's sitting at various check points checking for illegal exhaust systems? Or even loud cars and trucks?

You ask a local cop why they dont do anything about it and they all say [you have to have a decimeter to do it legal]?!!?
Then buy a darn meter and do something about it. City's and villages buy police related junk all the time and are constantaly in training for it
Now,you tell me how in the #### the cops get away with it on the trails? 99% of the cops have no meters.
You know it's not only a ticket but in many cases it's pay on the spot or lose the sled!
This is nothing but a double standard and someone needs to do something about it!
I'am not someone who runs loud exhaust on anything, infact I hate noise! I hate smoking too, but when the government makes it a double standard or makes you pay thru the nose it's nothing but a form of communism plain and simple!!!!!!!!

I feel better now

Last edited by phazerhater at April 29, 2002, 5:02pm

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I agree with you whole heartedly. I think the only argument there is as to why they aren't being bothered is the fact that there aren't any Harleys riding in peoples back yards so to speak.  It does seem unfair though.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, they do ride in my back yard, or should I say, the front yard. About 100 feet to be exact, from my door to the road.
+ or - that amount for millions of others too I'am sure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I totaly agree with you they let harley`s get away with some loud stuff. The local cops in nbpt mass tried to do some road side stops on harleys(or any loud bike ) a couple weeks ago and made the paper.The bike guy`s said they were stoped for no reason then found the loud pipes. It all boiled down to no meter  no proof (but they did take pict)the storie is not done yet wanna guess who wins. I love a nice sounding ride but also know when to be aware of you`re neighbors.  jeff in nh

·
Registered
625 Posts
This subject has come up on this board before, and it basically boils down to the fact that Harley's are "in" now. Even cops are riding them, not as work bikes, but for leisure. The fact is that 3/4 of the Harleys on the road right now are not owned by "bikers" either, it is sons, daughters, nephews, brothers etc...which makes it more acceptable when one of those loud piped contraptions comes down the street. The number of Harleys has exploded around where I live in the past years, and thay almost all are loud, but there are few other machines in comparison like sleds, or dirt bikes. It is B.S. when one machine and owner gets harrased, and anothers machine for a similar violation can roll right by the cops without a hitch, that is NOT fair. P.S. I am not on the side of loud pipes on anything except where it is proper like racing, I believe loud pipes will cost us alot of trails eventually. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Its not fair my first ride out this season i got a 75 $ ticket for my silencer being tooo loud on my sled but these cars and bikes ripping around this summer are just as loud ifnot louder.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it's like I said, it's a double standard. I guess if you got anything other than a snowmobile you can ride the trails of america [roads and highways] with no exhaust if you want too and usually get away with it.
For us snowmobilers I guess were outcasts like black sheep.
You better follow the rules of the law [even as they make them up from county to county as they like] or else pay-pay-pay.
Maybe we should make the cops afraid of us like they are Harley owners by ganging up on every cop-dnr on the trail and beating the tar out of them. I bet that would really help our sport out!             Ya you bet.........

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hey 2002mxzx, I never could figure this out, maybe you can help.  Why is your "silencer" louder than stock pipes?
?  Is that and oxymoron?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Im taking the B&B off mine next fall and going with open exaust, people should really like that!

·
Registered
176 Posts
What we realy need is someone to make a stock muffler with some sort of cut out... pull the lever and drop the loud lever
 No realy we are under the scope so we have to learn to live with it or loose. But I might also buy one if I could.

·
Registered
349 Posts
This is one subject I probably should not get started on, but I feel snowmobilers are being singled out, and segragated.
In this great country of fairness, someone is missing the boat.
I have no problems with Harley's , infact I am looking to buy one, but to sit along a snowmobile trail, and pull you over to check your pipe is harassment. I have heard of a stop made in Michigan where they had 25 to 30 sleds lined up, ####, I would have not stayed and waited around for that BS, I would have just left, I did nothing wrong, and would have executed my rite to reasonable suspision. none there.
If I ever do get stopped, I will cause a ruckus in court, with help from my laywer buddy, and see what happens.
Some jacka** tried to run aside me and pull us over, I did not see any reason to think it was the law, no flashing light, no badge. For all I knew it was some idiot trying to pass me on the trail, so we tore off, later to learn it was the DNR. This wiener could have caused a accident, and for what, I was totally legal.
Enough said.

·
Registered
413 Posts
How about the new Blade with the Harley looking chromed engine by S&S.  Do you think riders of this sled would get stopped if they had "straight pipes" and were putting around the trails like the Harleys do on the roads?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts