Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 couger 440 and need help with the suspension set up. I only weigh 120lbs and the sled beats me up because it doesnt compress in the bumps. Already went to softer springs with no results. Help please.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are right and its beating you up in the bumps because it is still too stiff then you could try this:

Where your rear scissors bolts to the sliderails drill a 3/8" hole 3/4" center to center IN FRONT of the current hole. Then move the lower mounting point of the scissors forward into that set of holes. Measure carefully as you do not want your scissors in crooked. This will soften your suspension as the scissors has much more leverage on the spring. In fact, depending on your springs you may have to set the preload up alot higher. While this is not nesessarily the perfect solution it is free and does not take that long. Also, if you dont like it just put it back. Especially if you already have as soft of springs as they make for the cougar. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing I didnt point out is that the suspension does not seem to rebound after compression. If I lift the rear bumper the suspension extends but once it compresses it only rebounds about one inch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your problem is your shocks-replace them! Check out the Kimpex gold shocks.I put them on my wifes sled 3 years ago and so far have been really nice, and they are priced right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the rear arm shock today and it seems easy to compress but very stiff on the rebound. Is this normal for a stock hyd. shock? What would be the best riding shock to use? I do mostly trail riding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts