Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 5 years Polaris has been touting their motors as ''Made in USA'' as part of their marketing strategy.Well my neighbor just took delivery of 2 new 700 Polaris cylinders after burning his new motor down after 500 miles,and low and behold,cast into the side of each cylinder was ''Made in Austria''! Iwas certainly surprised.Is there another 2 stroke mfg. hiding out in the Black Forest that is tarnishing Polaris's patriotic campaign?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
It could be part of the out of court settlment doo made with Polaris after Pol sued them on the patent theft from the edge rear skid.  I know that is why polaris got the Electronic reverse from doo.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Thats right mighty rx. Sorta of like the polaris VS fast suit. Polaris copied the double coupling so the blade now gets the polaris engines, which are really rotax engines
This is getting confusing lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
from my understanding of it, Polaris engines should state "Made by the United Nations".  It seems they use Austrian pistons, now cylinders too, and they used to use Italian ignitions (Ducati ignitions in earlier models anyhow).  It seems that they are assembled in the US.  I guess that makes Honda and Toyota American cars too.

·
Registered
685 Posts
zdooz:I think some of the forum users read far too much into some things! Pistons and other die cast parts have been manufactured in Austria for years, ELKO has made pistons as far back as I can remember. The main reason being the health and safety regulations are not as tight as they are in Canada and the U.S.  Dino.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Well im pretty sure that polaris engines are assembled in the US.  Its like chevy, Dodge, Ford saying there engines are made in the US.  Or Mercedies saying made in germany.  

Parts of them are but its not all made in the use.  Few years ago i worked as a tool maker and we were making mercedies engine blocks along with GM engine blocks all v8s.  We made pistons, Crankshafts and all sorts of stuff.  GM thinks magna international makes it but Magna just gives it to some smaller company.  

Im sure that polaris is using pistons made in austria because if they were made in us would cost to much.  

Ever look on the ignition box on a skidoo.  It says DENSO.  
Denso = Toyota.  

Look at NGK plugs and plug wires - all made in japan.  

Toyota also makes the altinators for dodge trucks.

Or how some high end GM cars use Bosch brake systems.  

Its all screwed up and nothing is made just in one place.  So even if polaris is getting parts made in austria it was designed in the US and built to there specs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts