Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed my first rear skid complete tear down and re-install. As part of this I had the shocks rebuilt and upgraded to the '02 AC coupling blocks. I would like some opinions on the following: Should I ride it first without the blocks installed and then install them and re-ride the same stretch of trail to see the difference or should I just put 'em in and go?

Additionally, I'd like to share a few observations from this project that may help everyone.

I built a sled lift from the plans posted here recently and it worked GREAT!

If I have my sled up on the lift and I'm going to be pulling and tugging on it, I now strap the rear end to the lift! It almost slid off the lift once while I was next to it! :doh:

Once the skid is out take pictures any way you can (go borrow the kid's 110 if you have to!). I did'nt and struggled to remember how the damn thing went back together!

:withstupid:

I found that with less than 1000 miles on it, I still had bent and broken stuff in the skid. One shock had a piston that had come loose. They found it during the rebuild. And a cross axle that one of the shocks mounts to was bent (maybe the same shock that was broken).

Replace all Nylock nuts and locking washers with new ones when re-assembling. Use Locktite on most (or all) fasteners.

Use antiseize and lube on the bolt shanks and the moving parts.

Torque everything to recommended torque values.

Take your time... its a big job! (for me at least)

That is for now......................

Hope this helps others

Maxwell

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I did my first one this summer, too. I remembered to take pics (lots of 'em) before I started disassembling. That's good advice, except there's no need for locktight on the bolts with nylock nuts.

If I were you I would ride without the coupling blocks and then with them, just to see how much difference they make.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts