Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone coupled their rear suspension on their Cat? I was looking at the Sled-Pro suspension upgrade kit. Does anyone have any input on how well it works? Is it a well spent $100?
Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
394 Posts
have an 02 800 coupled rides great.  also 98 zr 600 that i put a AD Boivin coupling kit in.  Night and day difference.  Granted you loose a little traction on the hole shot but the ride and handling make up the difference.  The Boivin kit is about a 100 buck and extremely easy to install.  I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
On another note the 99' ad up models Artic Cat sells a coupling kit for 129.99.  Upgrades it to the 02 style.  Bought one for my 98 but it doesn't fit.  You get the blocks, and a new rear sicsor.  Have to take the supension out though.  With the Boivin and others they say you don't. I did anyway to make it easier.  I would opt for the Cat model because it appears a little more rugged and supposed to not limit your travel any.  Cat claims that the aftermarket kits do.  Did not notice a difference on my 98.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Couple the suspension. I tried it both ways and I have to say coupled is the best for trails. I did lose some of my hole shot but I am going to add a few chissels to my current stud pattern to solve that problem. The think that is nice about the cat kit is that you can uncouple the suspension if you want to race the lake. Just bring along the right size allen wrench. The other kits don't offer anything of the sort.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I can never hook my ZR800 up. Maybe I should take the blocks out? I am 136in my track do you think I should still take my blocks out or do you think the xtra track will compensate?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a buddy with a ZR800 has the same problem I get better tracktion than him on hard pack. It really got him mad when i was beating him in 660ft. He has the blocks out and has 144 studs. I think he needs some more studs in it. He may want to move the rear arm back 1 hole to get alittle better weight transfer. I have a ZR 600 EFI and he has the 800 EFI he should be beating me hands down. Traction is the only think I have on him. We are thinking of adding some chissels to his track hoping to get that problem solved. There was another 800 racing with us but I didn't get a good look at his setup. He was getting alot better hook ups than us. Still had some excessive spin though. You have to just take the time to play around and find what works for you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is this on a Sno-Pro?  If so it will make it real stiff and you may not like it.  It made my ZRT TSL too stiff and I took it out.  Remember it makes the front and rear work together.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had to take the coupling blocks out of my 02 ZR800 as well. Absolutly no hook up. I have also heard of Guys having them break into pieces. I had to move the rear scissor back one hole to compensate for my weight. Hooks up great and holds the skis in the air for a long time. Lots of inside ski lift though. You have compromise I guess

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wheelies can be cool, but not when your racing. If I stand on the very back of the running boards and hammer on it , my ZR catwalks almost straight up. Not to functional but it sure looks good. It also helps that I'm a big boy. Not to good for the snow flap though

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have been running coupled suspensions since 96 on another brand (Same design Cat is using now ) and I would not be with out it,sled handles 100 times better and also flys better off Aproaches,then if I take the blocks out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts