Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
friday night i called the neighbour and asked if he wanted to go sledding with a group of us, he had bummed his wrist and had to say no. so i asked if his son wanted to come along anyways {my kids bud} and of course the kid said yes, the neighbour said "take my trailer" and i thought okay if you say so. it is a triton aluminum covered in, we hooked up and the first words out of the good neighbours mouth were this thing pulls like a pig. so back to my house and loaded the last sled, so now i have 3 sleds 1 in the truck and 2 in the trailer. so on down the road we go, "the trailer" if it pulls like a pig i am thinking a new born pig maybe ? pulled nice i am impressed way beyond my previous thoughts of these trailers, i think the trailer looks goofy and thought it would pull the same way but i stand corrected.
we get to our destination, unclip the skies, tip the trailer and the sleds {i guess with the ski guides} roll right off the trailer like puppies running for kids. i'm thinking this is too nice where is the pay back ? we ride and return, load the sleds, clip the the skies and disappear. now normally when i load or unload i have with me an old coat, gloves and hat so i do not dirty my riding wear. but i could have loaded and unloaded this trailer in a 3 piece suit then went to church.
when we get home from a trip the son and i normally go through the ritual of rinsing the sled covers then hanging them too dry. then out with the bucket and wash the sleds into the barn and spray the metal parts that were covered in salt with wd40. after this trip the sleds were just as clean as when we started, this is too nice.
now for the next trip i don't want to go without a covered trailer. i have seen those plastic single sled covers will those fit a normal trailer ? can i get some type of cover and use it on my current trailer ?
the BAD MISTAKE is that i used his trailer and could have used mine, now mine is not good enough.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can send you to a place to get the Toy Carriers, they cost about $850 each and can be used on your existing trailer.  What kind of trailer do you have?

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sledhed670,
without going out and looking i don't know, i looked at the ownership it says cerk.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sledhed670,
i went out and looked it is an EZ tow made by cerk industries in milton. the trailer is still perfect probably because i wash it off after every trip, then wd40 here and there.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
You know Paul, you could have asked me, and I would have warned you.  I borrowed a trailer last year, and had to buy the enclosure this year for myself.

I had a northtrail trailer, and bought the enclosure from them to fit.  They might be worth a call, to see if it would fit yours.  The actual manufacture is LB Moore in Richmond Hill (I think).  Cost me about $2K, for the 10' enclosure.  

We got to Bracebridge on Friday (first long tow with the enclosed trailer) and both commented how nice it was to have clean sleds.  Then of course 15km into our ride on Friday night, I did a nose dive into a muddy slushy spot on the trail, and covered my sled (and myself) in mud.  I can still hear my buddy laughing.

Anyway, good luck.

FishHog

P.S. as far as towing, I can barely tell the difference between the trailer with the scoop, and the enclosed trailer.  Towed much better than I thought it would.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think you must have a 100 inch wide trailer for those toy carriers.  Your EZ-tow is probably 96.  I used to have an
ez tow 4 bed.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sledhed670,
if one were to move the 2 outside panels out 2 inches then i would have a 100 inch bed. so no problem in jamaica here.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You guys should check out my trailer...yes it pulls like a dead pig (it weighs 4200lbs empty), but it's great.  I've got lights inside, a generator, and a TV...the only thing it doesn't have is heat.  www.bit-net.com/~zebra   (go to the pictures page)

Still, I wished I had a two-place trailer yesterday...I couldn't get this pig up my ice-covered driveway to go north!

Scott Nadeau
Concord, NH

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had never trailered a sled until shortly after I got my wife's 98 classic touring . Untill then I only had one sled and just put it in the back of the truck . I took her's to Cochrane to break it in ( well that's what she believes...lol ) We put 4 sleds on a open 4 deck trailer, after seeing what my( my ? I mean her's ...lol) brand new sled looked like when we got there , I went out as soon as we got home and bought a enclosed 2 place trailer. Never again under any situation will I ever use an open trailer.

R

·
0 Posts
Paul, don't borrow your friends cabin or that will be you next purchase. You will leave the sleds at the cabin in the garage and you will drive your car and get 30 mpg vrs the truck at 12. The sleds stay like new for years cause they never see the mess from the road. But you can always justify the cabin by using it in the summer too.

p.s. Now I use my covered trailer for storage. It goes on the road about once a year to get straw for the berries, works well keeping the straw from blowing away.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just bought a covered trailer this year, now all my buddies are contantly asking me if they can borrow it...lol.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Our maintenance rituals sound almost the same Paul.I bought a 1995 hyland trailer new and it still almost looks like it did back then.I wash it and the sleds off on the way home and then apply some engine storage spray to it every now and then.But it still doesn't compare to an enclosed by any means.
I figure you pay that much for something,you better keep her looking pretty.Now if that theory would only work for the wife.lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was thinking of purchsaing a closed trailer but i don't know what are a  good type can anyone help me?

·
Registered
89 Posts
They are all pretty good.  I currently use and easton.  It depends what you want, how much you can spend and how much you can tow.  The toy carrier is the next latest thing on the market.  You may also want an inline if you don't have a wide vehicle.  There is a lot to consider to pick the right one for you.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Come on Paul, part with some of that money and go out and buy a covered trailer! you won't be sorry. I've had mine for 3 years, and at the price of sleds now days, I would never pull one on an open trailer.  I have a triton 101 with a sled shed cover, that opens in the front and the back. The lift front was a $280.00 option, but over the life of the trailer it was/is a great investment.  If I do it again, i kind of like the fiberglass enclosed ones, they are a little more aerodynamic, and they wash up easier, and are hindged in the middle to open up front or back, i think top cap is the brand, but they are more expensive. The covered trailer is also a good way to store sleds in the summer also.... Thanks DooZ

·
Registered
287 Posts
My shop is a couple of miles from a major launching point into the sierra's for sledders. Unfortunatly there is a shadowy curve that the snow never melts on and the city folk come flying up the road. Last Saturday a guy in a 97 chevy with an old phazer and a late modle 670 ski doo hit the ice, went up the embankment and rolled the truck and the sleds. Unfortunatly it trashed the sleds (who gives a dam about the truck right!&#33
If they where tied down properly in a enclosed trailer they might have come out of it ok. My problem is we drive up the forrest service roads and unload at the snowline which varies. You have to unhook the trailer and do a 10 point turn around, then turn the trailer around and rehook up. Not to mention where to park with 20 trucks and trailers on a narrow road. So at this point, enclosed won't work for me.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
so-i've asked this question before and never got a good answer.i've got a 11 1/2 foot pantera and a 10 foot trailer.is there any kind of oversized hard cover that would help cover this big arctic boat?powder boy-help me-or anyone.i'm sick of my sled getting covered with slime and such.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I pull a 4 place enclosed Classic trailer and it weights 3100# and I love it I will never go back to a two place! I just drive the sleds in and I don't even tie them down, I have been doing it this way for 5 years now and never a problem! Plus I heat the trailer and I drive my sleds in like a garage at night and thaw them out so I can check them over everyday!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I also got an enclosed trailer i bought it three years ago and i will not go back. My sleds look so much better it is unbelievable. It is a little harder on fuel but if something ever breakes we have a nice place to work on things. mine is an r and r snowfire all aluminum.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts