Snowmobile World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do u guys figure i do with the chassis on this zr. it has a crack in the chassisabout 2 inches under the secondary clutch mount. i am planning on getting it tig welded, but will i have problems in the future?

Anybody know any good aluminum tig welding shops in manitoba?????
any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
580 Posts
A single crack shouldn't be too bad IF you can get the chassis straight and strengthen it somehow. I broke frame on my 96 in so many places I only had to take 1 bolt out to remove the engine lol. When i was thinking of repair most said there' s no way you'll get it straight enough and it'll do nothing but eat belts. FYI: I paid for a good part of the 99' ZR I bought but selling all of the parts off of my 96 ZR.

·
Registered
980 Posts
What do u guys figure i do with the chassis on this zr. it has a crack in the chassisabout 2 inches under the secondary clutch mount. i am planning on getting it tig welded, but will i have problems in the future?

Anybody know any good aluminum tig welding shops in manitoba?????
any help would be greatly appreciated[/b]
Welding is probably the best solution if you couldn't find a replacement front frame. Weld up the crack and then maybe even weld a plate over top of the repaired area to reinforce it and spread the stress.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
if its just the tunnel thats cracked then go for it .I wouldnt think twice about it .just unhook all the electronics going to the motor ,high frequency can travel places you wouldnt think it could lol . dont ask how I know, just know that I do . M[/b]
From what I hear if snofrog say's it can be done, It can be done ! BUT, I still want to know about this high frequency thing...lol

Snow4

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
From what I hear if snofrog say's it can be done, It can be done ! BUT, I still want to know about this high frequency thing...lol

Snow4[/b]
when tig welding , you use a direct current ( except in special situations ) on steel . when welding aluminum you typicaly use alternating current (except in certain instances where the flash around the puddle would damage a surface such as a polished or grained mold surface ) and adjust the" high frequency " to give the desired puddle characteristics for the conditions encountered .when you first start the arc on ac there is a high frequency spike that can really fry electronics , if that part somehow becomes part of the electrical circuit between ground and electrode . picture a fraggmented lightning bolt ... that is how the ac is trying to find the ground when welding. should it go through the electronics before a good arc is established from electrode to ground then ... you fry electronic parts :thumbsup: M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts