Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big line is the crack, it doesnt go all the way through but its long. Is it ok? If not can it be replaced and for how much?

This pic shows chain scoring. Is this normal?

Here is what engine degreaser, a CRAP load of paper towels, and steel wool can do to a dirty chaincase.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cleaned up real nice for you...... Looks good :thumbsup: .......

About the crack...... its not all the way through?????? I would say your okay.... Is that at the top or the bottom??????? If it was me, i wouldn't be afraid to run it with that crack, but i would call up a snowmobile junk yard, and see if that have a cover, or a replaced part for cheap....

As for the scoring from the chain... Have you noticed riding the sled any banging at all??? If you have the chain tension maybe loose????? Just tighten it up??????? Then again I would rate my mechanic skills at about a C-..... :tongue:

Keep it up..... and good luck......

Rob

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the chain tension cant be adjusted on mine, its all by the springs. The crack is at the bottom and no it doesnt go all the way through. Also its not the cover. No i havent noticed any banging

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good thing my real dad has been welding for more than 25 years. He can weld ANYTHING!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
980 Posts
I agree w/ snofrog, just get it welded.
As clean as everything is, it won't take much.
Good insurance, especially as the crack is on the bottom.

My best guess it that a chain failed at one time on that sled. That would explain the scoring on the inside, and the chain probably wadded up between the lower gear and inside of the case and stressed the lower part of the case - causing it to stress crack.

Later,

·
Registered
644 Posts
Casting flaw? That would be my guess too, based on the pics. Aluminum tends to cast that way quite often. Unless you know it took a recent hit, I suspect it may have been that way for awhile - if not since new. If it hasn't leaked, I wouldn't worry even if it is a crack. All that part of the case needs to do is contain the oil. It really provides little in the way of necessary structural strength.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Thats a crack caused by a broken chain wrapping around the lower sprocket some time. As said before a good weld (done by a good welder) will give you peace of mind. Check your current chain for stretch. That roller chain was a weak spot on those sleds.

·
Registered
980 Posts
can that cast metal be welded.?[/b]
Yup, I don't know why not. I am pretty sure it is just cast aluminum. I have welded stress cracks in transmission cases and output shaft housings. It can't be much different.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok thanks for the replies. The picture doesnt do it justice. It IS a crack. My dad is a professional welder, been welding for more than 25 years, ill take it to him and get it done for free. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
before you weld it i would take a small drill bit and drill through the case at each end of the crack. this will almost ensure the crack won't grow after you weld it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Never drill anything that holds oil or water on a sled ever, there is nothing wrong with that chain case cover . but now that you have took it apart put a new gastet on it . I have been watching your posts and it seems to me , that you are taken things apart just for something to do . Stop it , you will spend a ton to put it back together.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
If the crack is welded properly (TIG welded preferably) drilling the holes to end the crack won't be a issue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts