Snowmobile World banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
IMHO I would put a big smear of JB on it and GIVER. We had a chaincase blow the entire bottom out over a 100 miles from home. We fixed the casing up with JB and it held for for two more years of abuse. Even used it to rebuild a recoil for an old Johnson outboard. It's up to you how much you want to spend. My advice would be don't get in too deep on an old ride. On the other hand this will give you valuable experience wrenching. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Permafrost

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
at work here i can enlarge the photo and yes the chain caused that crack. get a new one.

i don't know why i can't elarge that type at home. who can fix that?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Jakes idea about drilling to prevent further cracking is not bad. I have to agree with the revrnd though. I have seen many small block heads cracked and fixed by tig and have no problem. Jake, that is old school man not many even know or remember to do that.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Jakes idea about drilling to prevent further cracking is not bad. I have to agree with the revrnd though. I have seen many small block heads cracked and fixed by tig and have no problem. Jake, that is old school man not many even know or remember to do that.[/b]
lol i guess i'm showing my age a bit here. one thing we need to remember here is helping a young lad that has the desire to learn. thats all he's doing with this sled. takes me back quite a few years. most kids these days won't even get their hands dirty let alone attempt a project like this.keep up the good work 11.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Jakes idea about drilling to prevent further cracking is not bad. I have to agree with the revrnd though. I have seen many small block heads cracked and fixed by tig and have no problem. Jake, that is old school man not many even know or remember to do that.[/b]
a small block head or any type of " block " really wouldnt bennefit from stop drilling ( in that you couldnt drill through the entire thickness of it ) however, thin webs, sheets or plates where a crack is more likely to propagate further would (as in this situation ) be advised or at least not hurt anything if done .a good welder will know how .lptt . M

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
wow, a lot of opinions on this one. Too bad you guys were too late. Its welded (from my dad) and it looks PERFECT. The only problem was that once he started welding the crack went all the way through. So ill have to take a die grinder to the inside of it. Ill have pics later. (prob tomm.)

Who said i should replace it? I dont think i want to spend money on that. It was a small crack, im not too worried about it.

Billww, i have to take everything apart because its either rusted or has dirt in it. and besides, theres basically nothing left to take apart, except the eninge and im not gonna do that because i dont need to. If i wouldn't have taken the suspension apart i probably could've been killed while driving because ALL the cotter pins broke on me when i took it apart. If i wouldnt have taken the chiancase off i wouldnt have known it was cracked and it could have later on caused a bigger problem. Im not trying to push your buttons or anything i just want you to know why im doing what im doing.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
the young guy reminds me of some fool I knew growing up. he never quit and it led to racing and man it never ends. that guy is me :thumbsup: . keep up the good work. you will never find better experiance than doing it.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
"if it aint broke dont fix it" The chaincase was broke so i got 'er fixed.

Heres some pics of the weld.

·
Registered
335 Posts
AFAIK, stop drilling is still an accepted technique.. At least on airplanes. If the crack didn't go all the way through, neither does the stop drill hole need to.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts