Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I kind of rolled my sled last season and I ended up cracking my hood near the primary clutch. The crack is only about 3 inches or less long. I was woundering what kind of material my hood is made out of? Can I buy glue to fix it myself or should I just pay someone to do it for me?

99 Mxz 600

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I would try to have it plasti-welded. Glue might not stand up to cold temps. :)

I believe your hood is made out of the same material as the Saturn :)

Last edited by LadyK at Oct 10 2002, 03:28 PM

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Your hood is made out of RRIM/Polyurethane which is a really good plastic. But there arnt many glues that can hold it.

Do what lady K said and get it plastic welded. It will turn out much nicer and be just as strong as it was before.

·
Registered
310 Posts
there is one thing in this world that will fix anything.... DUCT TAPE!

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Originally posted by another MXZ@Oct 10 2002, 03:52 PM
So i can just take it to a body shop then or does the Doo dealer have one??
Ask at the body shop(if you dont want to use duct tape) if they dont they may know who or the Doo dealer may know who.

BTW-this should be pretty cheap. although not as cheap as roll of duct tape.about $15- $20 canuck bucks

I'd phone around before dragging your sled from place to place. :)

Last edited by LadyK at Oct 10 2002, 04:19 PM

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for the info but I don't think I will let duck tape come anywhere near my sled even being a Canadian and all. I will have to call around and see who can do some plastice welding.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was calling around for plastic weld prices and was told about $170 cdn (welded + paint ) the guy said I would not even be able to see where it was. So you said that duck tape was only $20 A. :doh:

do you think that $170 is a good price?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Its not the prettiest fix, but I took some 20ga aluminum sheetmetal, coated it with plastic epoxy and stuck it to the inside of the cowl. Then I used some aluminum pop rivets to tie it together, my sled is black so I painted the rivet heads black to make them less noticable.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
It's a good price with paint ad buffing.If you just get it plasti-welded + no paint it would be cheaper.How badly doo you want the crack to go away? ;)

·
Registered
791 Posts
duramix which is a polyurethane glue. Worked for me. $15 a tube Canadian

·
Registered
263 Posts
Better check to see what the body shop plans to do about the decals, $170 sounds pretty fair for the repair work and paint, but you may get your hood back without decals.

·
Registered
277 Posts
<Eurofan> good point there, the decals is expensive in USA/Canada, is'nt them? ???

Over here you have to pay $250US for some simple "stickers"... :D

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
On somthing as expensive as a sled 170 bucks is worth it to bring it back to a perfect level. Plus a crack will hurt you a lot when you go to sell or trade it.

Call around a bit more. I have heard of people getting it cheaper then that but if you cant find any 170 for weld, paint, and buff seems fair.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ya that price doesn't include decals of course. He said if the crack is within 4 inches of of the crack they would have to be replaced. I like that idea of the glue from crapy tire "duramix". I will have to look for it. The crack is small. It is more of a #### of then anything. I will have to keep looking because I am not going to pay $170 for the weld anf then $300 for the decals... No way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts