Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 97 Mach 1 700 have the Crank Bearing problem? Should I put grease in the little hole on the PTO side of the crank case? How do I tell if the recall maintenance has been done?

Thanks Guys

Don :hallo1:

·
Registered
39 Posts
From other posts here it sounds as though some of the 1997's may have had problems. A dealer can do a search on the serial number and tell if any work was performed by a dealer at least. I had a 1998 FIII 700 and put over 6000 miles on it and never had any problems, same for my brother with exact sled, and I know Ski-Doo had a lot of problems that year. We have always run regular Ski-Doo non synthetic oil. I was also wondering about that little port hole on top of the case behind the clutch. Does it look like there is a ball bearing inset into it? I was told it is a plugged hole that is not needed. My recommendation would be verify # through a dealer and just run it using a good oil and make sure motor is warmed up properly before each ride.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I got 6800 miles out of mine without the extra oil passage hole.Just rebuilt it and got the extra hole drilled.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Hehe, go to the flll700 thread, same deal. By the way, that plug on top of the case doesn't just pop off, you have to have a special hole drilled inside the case to get more oil to the bearing.
If the pto bearing hasn't gone yet, it will! Been there dont that! :0:

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
a friend of mine said his went last season on his f111. to catch it early start the sled and let it idle, then spray ether alongside of the clutch toward the pto bearing and if the sled starts to rev then the seal is done and real soon the bearing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The 97 Mach 1's and Formula 111 600 had bad crank bearing so did the 98 600/700 tiples, 96 Formula 111 600 even the 95 had bad crank bearings due to lack of oil. I have always ran doo synthic and had no problems. The cloest i have come was the pto bearing sezied on me over summer on my 97 mach 1

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was under the impression that some of the motors did get the hole drilled and some did not. This would explain why some got thousands of miles with no problems, but this is not the case? Bummer, so its just a matter of time on the ones that have not burned up yet?

·
Registered
94 Posts
just go to the skidoo page and call them give them the vin# and they will tell you whats been done (recall) they will also tell you the prevous owner ( at least they did me )

·
Registered
361 Posts
donpeter64, the '97 triples did have pto bearing oiling problems, and the stock crank bearings had a plastic type bearing cage which provide a smoother running engine but if overheated (such as summer grass racing), they would melt and the bearing would seize up soon after, sometimes spinning the bearing in the case and wearing that out too. The fix from Bombardier dealers at the time was to drill an angled hole to feed oil to outside of Pto bearing (see pics.). I think that with the new triples, they have sealed pto bearings packed with isoflex grease and/or an oil feed line directly to pto bearings. As for the melting cages, many shops and racers, such as I, have installed a crank with steel cage bearings (which are a little looser in tolerance for expansion of the cage when warm, and typically won't last as long as the supposedly wear a little faster), which aren't affected by the heat as long as properly lubricated. Here's a few pics. of the hole drilled in case. Also, if the dealer can't tell you if the update was done (from your vin #), then the engine has to be disassembled to be checked.
Hope this helps !

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
And here's where the hole feeds the oil to outside of the outer pto bearing with the crank in the case but without the pto seal.
p.s. Paul Yarek also mentions about a leaking pto seal, this usually happens after blowing a belt and some of the belt cord gets caught behind the clutch, and if not removed will wear through the seal. This then leads to either a lean seizure (from extra air being sucked in) and/or pto crank bearing failure (a sign of this coming is oil on pto cyl. behind clutch and engine idling high or low and engine power loss on top end).
Hope this helps !

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
kennypope, I had originally planned on getting up early to finish off my tunnel extension, then head out to the lake, but I actually got up at 11:30am (hanging, from too many brewskis last night), and didn't get into the garage 'til 1:30pm. The sled's ready for tomorrow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guy's for the info, Hey SKI DOO U 2 do you have the URL for the Ski-Doo web site to check the VIN#?

Thanks

Don

·
Registered
229 Posts
Limskii, what size drill bit do you recommend to make that passage with? I have a 600 case that could benefit from the lube passage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also, in the 3rd picture, what is the thing to the right of the drilled hole that is cast from the factory? It looks like it has a ball bearing in it and is located on top directly above the crank bearing but in the picture does not look like it goes all the way through.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Don't forget to add that expensive Isoflex grease!! In the bearings and seals, it wouldnt hurt to add it to the mag side also, but it does seem to work though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts