Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem with crank,  not itself but brass gear that drives pump.  See my thread named "overheating SRX : opinions welcome"  in this Yamaha section.
 Yamaha is covering all the related problems caused by the slipping gear on the crank. over $1600 worth.
 Another thing that I noticed was that you are from NH. Did your son by sled in NH?
I ask because the sled that I have was originally from NH.  My dealer said that cranks in the '99 SRX's were  not a big problem. far and few between.  maybe a certain amount of sleds that had crank problems came of the line near the same time & were sent to the same area???  I would be curious as to the closeness in sled ID.  last five numbers on mine is: 61064, is yous similar?

·
Registered
59 Posts
my friend had almost exactly the same problem with his srx. the vrank was 5 thousanths out while yamaha spec is way more precise. (1 i think) and of course it failed the same year and the dealer had to replace it. it was more widespread than theyre telling you about. im just glad your dealer went good on it:)) good luck with your sled
imp

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a Yamaha snowmobile tech update book and they say that if the crank runout is over 0.15mm( which is almost 6 thou) Then the crank is to be removed and welded.
My crank is about 3 thou and they won't do anything.
Ger

·
Registered
54 Posts
In response to yammyrider questions,  my son just picked up his 99 yamaha at the dealer today.  
 Yamaha fixed the crank problem even though the warranty had expired about a week before we had the sled looked at. Dealer said the crank was out 13 thousands (a lot i guess) I was told that all 98 cranks were bad, no exceptions.  Quite a few 99's were found to be bad, especially if the tracks were studded? The fix is to have the crank straightened and welded. I give credit to yamaha for correcting the problem even though the warranty had expired, they have a customer for life in me. Even though i have a zrt-800 (2001)  I like driving my wife's 98 srx more on fast groomed trails, its just plain more fun, and no one puts out a sweeter sounding engine winding up. Love that sound. My son bought his 99 srx from a fella in salem n.h don't know # but will look it up for u and post it..

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The reason why they fixed it was because it is a non posted recall. If it happened 10 years from now they would have fixed it. My buddie has a SRX mountain and when he purchased it new they told him to watch out for it. YAMMY DOESNT WANT TO FIX THEM ALL ONLY THE ONES THAT SCREW UP ..........CHEAP.

·
Registered
54 Posts
GLAD TO HEAR THAT YAMAHA TOOK CARE OF YOU YAMMYRIDER, LIKE I SAID EARLIER THEY HAVE A CUSTOMER FOR LIFE FOR THE CONSIDERATION SHOWN TO ME. ANYWAY HERE IS THE VIN NUMBER OFF MY SONS 99SRX, THEY ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO EACH OTHER 8DN-007092. HOPE THAT HELPS U SOMEWHAT. ANOTHER LITTLE BIT OF INFO FOR U AND OTHER YAMAHA FANS I WAS TOLD BY LOCAL DEALER THAT NEW (2002) SRX'S CAN BE HAD FOR BELOW COST BECAUSE OF THE UPROAR OF THE NEW RX-1. HE HAS A BUNCH OF THEM AND WAS WILLING TO LET THEM GO PRETTY CHEAP. HE IS NOT TAKING TRADES FOR THE NEW RX-1 BECAUSE HE DOES NOT WANT TO GET STUCK WITH AN ANTICIPATED GLUT OF SRX OWNERS WANTING TO UPGRADE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts