Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
On my 01 zr snopro.  The dealer thinks maybe the seals are bad.  How would the motor run like with bad seals.  Any thing else just email.  Im having alot of probs.

R

·
0 Posts
I have a friend that owned a 95 EXT580 that the seals were bad in it. This sled would start real hard (12-50 pulls) but after it was going it ran great. It was just a matter of time and the leak got too large and the thing blew. We found the seal problem during the rebuild process. Things that make you go hummm.. 

As far as the Cat bashing goes my cats have pulled them all home when they break. But when mine breaks my wrecker service will always be a Cat, no other brand will take my cat to the barn. Remember they all break sometime, its a matter of how much does it cost to get it going again!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Snopro, you have to get your sled to a shop that can test the motor for pressure...that's it.  Wouldn't ride it if I were you...never know when it's going to go POP!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This sled should be pulling like a 670 but its acting like a 340.  The dealer said that its the cranks seals.  But i think the cdi box.  No power

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
But it sounds like your dealer didn't do any real diagnostics, did he?  Get it to someone that can tell you for sure.

Jim

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Has it always been like this,if not when did it start and what were the sircomstances(spelling) when it started?I have a buddy that rides them and races them I could ask him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seems odd the seals would be bad on such a new machine.   Normally the seals go bad on older machines, especially if they were not stored properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
the hard starting is definatley one sign but performance all around is affected. what do your plugs look like? they should be penut butter brown, a leaking seal will create a lean mixture leading to excessive heat, the plugs will be white. if your plugs are black and wet then it might be the cdi I personally haven't had one go just partly bad they either run or don't. you can check the seals your self by starting the sled and spraying a light bit of starting fluid behind the clutch and around the intake boots and onto any other areas that are accessable where the engine is split. have you checked the jetting or impulse line? fuel is good I assume you drained the tank and tried new gas. the seals are an unlikely failure on a newer sled but any part can fail, there is also a center seal that isolates right crankcase from left. the best and most accurate test is the leak down test if your dealer or mechanic is capable and willing if not you can make the neccsarry gear from a couple of plumbing plugs a gauge and a bycycle pump and check it yourself for under 20 bones.
e-mail me for a more detailed explanation on this if your dealer is a hoser and won't do it for ya.

·
Registered
555 Posts
What happens when a crank seal goes bad?

first you get less power, and you can tell that there is less power.   Then       POP          and everything goes silent, except the sound of your footsteps.

LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts