Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to cross the US/Canada border on sled near Sault Ste Marie?  What documents do you have to have?  My buddy and I are still trying to plan a trip of our lifetime.  We'd like to leave our truck and trailer in northern WI, ride on sleds into and across the UP, and into Canada.  He and I are the only ones out of our group that are willing to try this.  Any info and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
jim,
 i hope it works, the only advice i have is to contact canada customs. in that area it can't be too awful complicated.

·
Registered
362 Posts
a buddy of mine did it a couple years ago.  Pretty sure all they did was contact customs prior to trip.  It was a no brainer if I remember correctly.  GL.

·
Registered
83 Posts
forget crossing at the sault. Instead cross the river at the Indian reserve near Cornwall, oh ya and bring a trailer full of booze and smokes youll make a killing and pay for your trip!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Crossing into Canada from NH is a breeze.  I would think it would be the same almost everywhere. Just need your birth certificate, ID and proof of insurance.  After crossing have to hook up with a club or vendor that you can purchase a trail pass from.  Good luck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There was a guy in the past that would trailer your sled across the bridge but I can't remember his name.  I can find out if he is still doing it.  For documents the standard stuff,  Birth Cert, D.L., ownership and insurance.  Also leave your guns at home

·
Registered
2 Posts
There used to be a service that will take you accross the international bridge on a trailer.  I'm not sure that it still operates because the wait at the border can be much longer now.  

We crossed from Drumond Island to Tessalon a couple of years ago.  There is a phone booth on the
Canadian side for you to call customs upon your arrival.  (It's at the marina, the boaters use it in the Summer.)

You may want to check the web sites for the Sault MI and Sault CA clubs for the current info.  Go to michigansnowmobiling.com and click on the Sault.  Also you may want to buy your Canadian permit before Dec. 1st when the price goes up.  It's not cheap, $170 Canadian after Dec. 1st.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I think you would find it a little easyier to go south to ST. Joes island and cross the bay to Drummond island [providing good ice]. If you got trailered across the international bridge you still couldn't ride from there, you would have to be trailored thru the city several miles and that alone would cost a fortune....

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definately, I'm game for the easiest way across the border in that general area (unless it involves operating at 3 in the morning w/the lights off).  It doesn't have to be right at Sault, that just stuck out when I looked at the map.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Something not mentioned.  I've heard on TV that you do need a passport now to cross the border now due to the war on terrorism.  Be sure to check up on this and be prepared accordingly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
no I just croosed last week. all you need is propper ID, drivers license or birth certificate.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Hauler is correct. US customs when we headed for Indy at Labour Day just wanted license & birth certificate. Canada customs on the way home didn't ask for anything.

I would assume most snowmobilers wouldn't resemble terrorists. I was teasing a friend from Cheektowaga NY at his cottage south of LadyK's about the 5 they arrested in Lacakawanna. I told him I was surprised any lived in that area.

Xotar, when you do find the info about trailering into the Soo, post it as someone emailed me this weekend about it. They're planning a Lake Superior Circle Tour.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
jim-i've done this twice.we took the ferry from detour,mi to drummond island.from there you jump on the ice of thunder bay and go across to st. joe island.from there,you ride the famous christmas tree line(planteed in the ice with augers-after christmas)for a rockin and cold 28 miles(watch for the ice buckles).from there you'll enter a swamp in theselon,ontario.there will be a customs telephone there.give the person on the line your name sled i.d and requested info.they will issue you a number to keep with you (bring pencil) over the phone.when going back to the u.s.a.-reverse the process and clear american customs at the township clerk office on drummond island.i've got the pics of the 2 tours-but forgot to get the t-shirt.
p.s. the ferry will let you drive your sleds aboard-no trailer needed.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That sounds great boss, except maybe the 28 miles on ice.  I guess going that way, you still only need d. lic, birth cert., anything else?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Border crossed at Norton VT last year.

To get to the states:

Stop machines on side of road,
Remove helmets and Ski-mask,
Smile for the camera,
Show passport,
Open Hoods, (personally I think they just wanted to see what an awsome engine my Polaris had)
empty backbacks, trunk, tool bag,
Give sworn statement of time to cross back.
Only thing missing was a full body search thank God.

To get back into Canada:

Give thumbs up to pretty customs lady,
Point to Canada licence plate.
Get thumbs up from customs lady and ride-on.

Definetly an inbalance of security.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
well it's been 10 years since that tour-but i guess that would be the case-just in case.remember-there's no living border guard-just the phone.if you go to st. joe island-be sure to eat in the only place on the island-the breakfast rolls are good and the waitresses are (were) looking good too.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (boss hoss @ Sep. 17, 2002, 12:11pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well it's been 10 years since that tour-but i guess that would be the case-just in case.remember-there's no living border guard-just the phone.if you go to st. joe island-be sure to eat in the only place on the island-the breakfast rolls are good and the waitresses are (were) looking good too.[/b][/quote]
Girl's can change a lot in 10 years  

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Madsleadhead, are you sure they didn't want you to open the hood so they could see what kind of pipes you were running??  Sorry, couldn't resist.  

I really can't wait to make this trip.  It will be next year, probably Feb or March.  Maybe I'll take a laptop along to keep you posted on how it's going.  How far into Canada should we go?  Is there a lot of good riding just across the border??

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Jim, it's pretty well unlimited. Feb. '01 we talked to 2 guys from Mentor OH in Smooth Rock Falls, they were on their way to Iroquois Falls. We saw them on their way home in Chapleau. They started at drummond I.

3 good places to stay up north

Chapleau: Aux Trois Moulins 2 hot tubs & a massage therapist on staff

Hornepayne: Centre Inn

Hearst: Companion Motel

Send me a PM w/ your email address & I'll send you my motel & mileage lists. It will give you a good idea in the distances involved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts