Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wandering what is the best gearing 4 every day driving and occasional top end trips?I marked my drive clutch and wipes the mark clean off!About one mm is left.I have a stock 26,would a 27 give me better top end?We often drag race 660 feet on snow,would a 25 be better?I have a 1.25 track and my 01 mxz 800 is stock but clutched.Is clicking down from number 4 position to 3 going to slow my accelaration?Any sugestions will be apreciated thanks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've run a 23, 25, 26, and 27. Currently, I'm
running the 27.

If you are going to run the 23 make sure you
have lots of studs. I didn't have enough (192)
to get it to hook properly.

The 25 might have been a little better out of
the hole and midrange, but not much.

I also didn't notice much difference in top
end either on the 26 or 27, but I've determined
that my belt was slipping during alot of this
testing.

So if you are running 500 - 660 ft, I would
go with the 25. 1000 or over, I would go with
the 27. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
292 Posts
blk 800,

Gunner is correct on this.  We have done some pretty extnesive testing in the gearing department and found that the 25/43 or 25/44 gearing works very well when traction is goos.  I personally run a 1.25 track and will run nothing but the 25/44 gearing.  The 27 slowed everything down and did nothing for top-end.  I would spend the money and put 96 1.375" studs down the middle, this makes a world of difference.

GLHRACING

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey GLH I am in need of a new track for my 2001 8001.  What 1.25 track are you using?  Do you have any recomendations?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been in Canada for the last 7 days.  We rode from our cabin in St. Zenon to Valcour for the WSA races on Friday.  Check your email..

·
Registered
292 Posts
blaise,

I wish we could have met, I was at le cabanon for the past 4 days racing on the lake.  My opinion is the '99 mxzx 440 racing track is the best that money can buy.  I currently have over 20,000 miles on these tracks and they are still going strong. I don't have the part # on hand but can get it for you.

GLH

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was at the Cabanon a few times.  I probably walked right by you and didn't even know it!  Did you get a chance to race the local ZR 900 that is always up there?  
I wonder if the 99 MXZx 440 track is the same as the 2000?  The 2000 part number is 504 151 815.  I know that they reccomend 192 studs on a 800, but would it be OK to run 96 or 144 down the middle?

·
Registered
292 Posts
blaise,

We raced the "local" zr 900 many times, they were trying to figure out what we had done to our stock sled.  I was riding the black hooded renegade 800 with a red belly pan.  I was also on a few other sleds but that was my backup sled.  The sleds all  said "Howards Research and Development" on the hood.  Anyway the 2000 1.25" track is good as well.  You CAN use 96 1.375" studs down the middle.  It works very well and has good durability, I personally prefer the 99' track but it is very hard to get now.

GLHRACING

·
Registered
292 Posts
Gunner,

That actually is not that fast.  It was a factory 800 open but clutched for snocross.  We did not spend any time on it for the lake.  It makes good power but to many other sleds to get dialed in, the gold mine was the 900 ZR, we picked up 9mph in 1000 ft.  Not bad for one day of tuning.  The conditions were not good for top speed but it is only 1mph behind the 1500 CS engine.  I hope to get up again.  The renegade held it's own but runs out of power at 800ft.

GLH

·
Registered
103 Posts
Damon, I wish you could have ran my sled up there. I didn't get to spend a lot of time on the lake. After I beat the Seedwerx 800  that was with us he was not in the mood to hang around. Is the Renegade the one you tested my sled against? Do I need to look at the 900 for next year or will I still be able to hold my own? Take care, Ron.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I ran into a zr900 myself in north bay last week end. After the guy got through telling me how much faster than a 800 and that its faster to 100 than his old tcat, I asked him to run me with my 00700. Beat him to 1000ft 3 for 3. Didnt bother to talk to him afterwords, just waved and went down the lake with a big smile.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ronzx,

The renegade is the one I tested yours against.  I have since found some better clutching for it but...  I think yours with the pipes may still be a contender but I am not sure about endurance with the rings???  I wish I could have brought it also.  If I knew mine was going to crap out the very first run I would have left it home.LOL

tb2,

The 900's are not that great out of the box, similar to the zr 800 but about 1 sled faster in 1000 ft.  Howaver there is a TON of clutching that can be done.  We picked up about 7-8 lengths and 9mph.  I gave a D&D T-Cat about 3 lengths and still beat him by 4.  I hate to admit it myself but they are fast.  It is only about 1 sled behind our 200 hp 1010 big bore and the thing still has the stock pipe.

GLHRACING

·
Registered
279 Posts
GLH it doesnt surprise me that the 900s will fly, its a 900 it better. Not much I like better than beating the latest and greatest with old,smaller equipment. Its going to be interesting to see how the competition will stack up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts