Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about changing my tunnel from black painted to polished aluminum like the new sleds. Any suggestions on how to do it and what to watch out for? I'm riding a 99ZL600 carbed. Also any good places to get powder coat painting done near Grand Rapids Michigan? Any other customizing suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Screw polished aluminum-get it annodized instead, in some color that complements your sled.

·
Registered
124 Posts
polished aluminum is a bitch to keep polished.  the new sleds have some sort of coating over the aluminum that keeps them from oxidising, but it also dulls the luster some.  
i did my sled this year- whenever i brought it into the warmer garage from outside, the running boards would get water condensing on them, than the water would beed up and leave nasty marks on the aluminum.  i tried waxing, but it didnt help.  

as for taking the paint off... try paint thinner, or i here brake fluid takes paint off, however, i don't really think anything is going to take the paint off because the paint they use is pretty tough stuff.  sand blasting would work, but thats really time consuming.

you could always just use this as an excuse to buy a new sled

- Jason

1 - 3 of 3 Posts