Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i`ve seen a company that will cut out the closed windows and install track clips on your track for 250.00. thats seems pretty pricy. has anyone cut out their own tracks and put the clips in themselves?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, why not just take a stud hole cutter and cut a hole in the center of the closed window to allow some snow in for additonal lub. Just a thought.

Auggie

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats a good idea too auggie but i want to get rid of the extra drag with the track rubbing on the sliders thats why i want to cut the windows and use the clips.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a 151 doo track with ever third window closed and what I did is bought the clips and used a track clip installer I rented from the ski-doo dealer or you can buy one. but all they do to cut them out is a chisle I think the hole is 1" by 1.5" so two differant tools and a peice of hard wood block too put under the track when your hitting the chisle.it took me approx 4 hours and cost to do a 151 $100 for the clips and $20 dollars to rent the tool. I did it to run extravert drivers and it works great>

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
What is a extravert driver?

·
Registered
100 Posts
An extrovert driver drives both the internal lugs and through the track clip holes.  

The neatest way I've seen to cut the clip hole is to buy a proper sized piece of rectangular steel and sharpen it to cut the holes in one shot.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Would'nt it just be easier to sell the track and buy a fully clipped track? All us doo owners need to write skidoo and bitch about this cheap, poor design they came up with several years ago. I like doo so much that when I buy one the first thing to go is that lousy track!  I usually get enough out of it to break even. I currently run a cat track. At least cat & Polaris have one good thing going...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, guess what Mikadoo. Polaris already runs the closed window track and have for a couple years. Cat will be doing the same on some of their sleds. Stupid.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have done a couple of these, I use a serrated edge knife and a little WD-40 to lube it. I also use the ribbed clips from camoplast. It is a lot of work but worth the effort. I agree on replacing the track but only if you want to change the track height as well.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
This subject was brought up some time ago. All of the people that get into serious racing said several mph was obtained after fully clipping the track! Why in sam #### is everybody going this way? Why? Because it's CHEAPER to build & keeps costs down! Just like when they quit putting twin pipes on, CHEAPER to build and slows you down to make the insurance & aftermarket people happy......

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Bumped up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
This is what I do. When studing my track I put studs in the closed windows.(32 I think It is )  The steal stud head does the same job as a track clip. Not only does it reduce drag but this is where you get the best bite from your studs because this is where all the weight of the sled is. And No the studs dont hit the tunnel protecters because they are off set from the windows.
Hope this helps out.  

1 - 14 of 14 Posts