Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing twin D&D pipes on my '01 ZR800.  Without having them completely bolted in, I closed the hood to check for clearance, and the hood looks to be barely resting on the outside pipe.  The hood does have alum tape on it, but I still think this is not right.  I had a meltdown experience once on my ZRT800 with stock pipes and the bellypan.  Does anyone have experience or advice on this setup?  My time is running out, leaving Sat nite for WI and have to work everyday til then.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
It should be fine for you.  D&D has sold thousands of those pipes, so you could always ask them too.  If nothing else, get a heat shield for your pipes as well as the underside of the hood.  I don't think you should have a problem with them burning through though...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Definitely get some kind of heat shield.  I had a pipe on my ZRT pop up and rest against the heat tape and it turned the tape brown, warped the hood in that area and melted the hood decal.  If you run short on time, call D&D.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything worked fine...after bolting everything down, there seemed to be enough clearance.  Rode 500 miles with no problems.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't have time for clutch work...will be doing that in a couple weeks, so won't really be able to test it til next season, unless I run some grass.  Even with just the pipes, I thought there was a little difference in midrange, but can't wait to clutch it!

Taconite, the sled doesn't sound any louder, a little different 'rumble', but definately not like the obvious ones that have pipes.  Didn't have any problems last week w/DNR, so hopefully never will.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jim, I live in Duluth so I am in wisc. all the time. Our guys have not been checked yet, so this is not first hand, but all they have to do is do a trail side check for stolen sleds and look at your eng serial number and it is over. As for the 800, I have a CSE clutch kit in my wifes 02 800 efi cce and I like it alot. CSE's 01 800 stock class runs an average of 110 in a 1000. If you get in the area let me know and will go ride. Good Luck,   Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts