Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YES IWAS WONDERING CAN YOU BUY PASS THE TETHER CORD SECURITY.JUST IN CASE I LOOSE MY TETHER CORD.HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Your not planning on stealing a sled are ya???

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The only way to by pass it is to borrow someones MPEM and teather.  Other then that your screwed till you get it to your dealer..

·
Registered
310 Posts
that happened to me a few times last year, forgot my key on a trip, that wasnt good.  thats the only bad thing about it, but the good thing is that no one can start it, and if they try to "hot wire" it it only goes to 3000rpm which wont be moving it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Buy one for the sled and a second one for back up. I travel with two always. I have had trouble with one just before a trip, but had my backup.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had a vest and DESS cord stolen back when I had a 1997 Seadoo XP.

It cost me about $55 to buy a new teather (about $45) and have it programmed at the dealer.  Too much $$ for a fancy lanyard IMO. Not to mention I had to buy another vest..

Theives suck...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Thieves do suck mich and they deserve whatever they get.
I had a sled stolen from me a couple of years ago in the middle
of a sleddin week away while we were in having dinner.
Then having to double back on a single seat
with a 280lb guy and i'm 235  for 100km
The replacement sled has dess and i have 3 cap programed for it.I keep one at
the cottage,one on the sled and another taped up and hidden
on the sled.When ya trade it in just keep the spares and they
can be programed for your new ride providing it has dess

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Bombardier dropped the price of DESS cords by about 30%.  They're alot more affordable now.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I paid 35 for my extra tether.all my tethers work on all the dess sleds we have.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I printed off the microfiche from Ronnies.com with the tether and price for $25.99. Then I took it to the dealer and they sold it 2 to me for cheaper than $25 a piece,  Reprogramming should be free,  was for me.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
How do you people lose a key? First thing I do to my new sled is take that plastic hook off and throw it in the garbage. Take your tether cord and open up the steel tab and put your key in and pinch it back up. Now your key and d.e.s.s. are always together. Never lost a key in thirty years!
Of course a little less carelessness can go a long ways :p

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Mikadoo I hate too break it to ya but i haven't had a key in my machines for a couple of years now. They only have a DESS plug now. Thank god one less thing for me to lose :)

This year Ladyk's and my ride will be programmed the same with one spare DESS

Last edited by permafrost at Oct 13 2002, 11:25 AM

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Permafrost, ya, I forgot that the newer sleds dont even have a key anymore, havn't been able to step up to the new generation yet.
Why not add a big plastic key ring or still have the big cord attached to it so when you drop it in the snow you can find it. I find that bigger objects are eaiser to keep track of. Kind of like an 800 triple triple, bigger is better :hallo7:

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
some of the newer sleds have a key and dess,like our 01 grand touring 600.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Machines withh DESS and electric start need the key for cranking the starter only. Betcha it wouldn't run without the tether.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts