Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tillotson HD carb in my 75 ski doo.  I go through the carb, clean it, make sure the needle is free. Boom, sled starts and runs fine for about 1-2 minutes then dies and won't restart.  Find out the needle is stuck again.  What do I need to do to make this a reliable carb.  New needle and seat?  If so can those still be purchased?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes you can get parts for them yet. Try Dennis Kirk or Shade Tree. A dealer could probably get them through outlets like Parts Unlimited too. Those carbs weren't very reliable when they were new. Make sure the tank is clean, put on new fuel lines, use fresh gas, and possibly an extra filter. These carbs are very sensitive to things like gum, varnish, dirt, or any other fuel related problems.
Good Luck in your repair.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Also be very careful with the gaskets & diaphragms. If you get them out of order or flipped over, that will mess things up too.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got rid of that carb, I put a Mikuni slide carb on there, seems to be running great so far, winter will tell more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 69 Olympic and I keep having the same problem with my tollotson HR.
Can you get those grosse jets for them?
I must have cleaned the needle and seat 100 hundred times last year!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a book on them carbs .... rebuild book .... if you need it let me know ... I will scan it and send it your way .

·
Registered
1 Posts
can I get a copy of that rebuild manual for the tillotson? I'm having the same problem as above with my '75 T'nT ... just cant seem to get the carbs adjusted properly...

as well if anybody has 2 of the 'grosse needle/seat' kit that would be great.

email me at [email protected] for terms...

thx.

·
Registered
493 Posts
HI i have a tip that i use in my old sleds that have sat over the summer and the tillotson carbs get all stuck up. What i do is take the filters out and get rite down to the needel valve and i take it out put a bit of oil in hte hole it came out of and soak the needel valve in oil then put it back together puting a bit of extra oil on teh valve and when u put it on spray some gas in the carb and it sould start and stay running. WORKS GREAt especially after they have sat over the summer if u dont want to buy a new carb kit.

·
Registered
296 Posts
hey big mac, do u think u could send me those scanned pages on rebuilding the tillotson carb? it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts