Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any new stories from this year? Any close calls? Here is my latest from about a month ago. I'm out on Houghton Lake in the Limberlost area at about 8:00pm (pitch black out). I have been running the same path back and forth for a few times for safety, and then I hit warp drive. Bang! The motor spins to 8000 rpm and locks in place while the clutch shifts out at an arm wrenching pace. Before you can say, "Holy smokes" the Speedo is up past 100 mph. Then I see a blur of black go by "Zip" I mean it was a blur. I realize quickly that it was a big black dog! I lift on the throttle and grab some serious brake. The clutch and motor screaming in protest! Anyone with RER reverse knows what I'm talking about! Well, that got my attention. I guess when you can't really see way out there in front of you, it is wise to keep the afterburners unlit. Had I creamed that dog, I could have been seriously injured. I was lucky on that one. Anyone else do something they are not proud of? Lets hear it!

·
Registered
448 Posts
You got lucky!  This is my unfortunate, yet learning experience.  Feb. 2 cruising along on Georgian Bay, everything was safe & smooth.  Around 7pm we went back out for a ride.  At night (on the lake) I only go where I've been during the day, that way I know it's safe.  Well that theory was thrown out the window!  5 hours after our previous ride a pressure crack had formed.  I launched off of it going atleast 70mph.  I fell off, the sled went about 100 feet through the air & landed on it's tail.  I felt like 4 guys had beat me with baseball bats, but no serious injury.  $2000- cdn to fix the sled.  Riding this area for 25 years, never seen a pressure crack in this spot.  I remembered the rule, never trust nature!  Now I go alot slower at night even if I've been through an area 5 minutes before.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Barbed wire fence, $3600 dollars damage.
          6 billion trips back to the dealer to get probs fixed
          900 miles of marginal snow riding
          81 chevy 350 gas guzzling pig and dealer is 40 miles away

OOOOOHHHHHHH its been a lovely year!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Sounds like you fellas had a close call,you could have been worm chow. I didn't have any close calls this year,at least nothing out of the ordinary,like guys cutting corners wide etc.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Acually this season was pretty uneventfull.  But last weekend even though I didnt go for a big trip.  Some guy on a Arctic cat ZL 800 though he could follow me and hit a few bumbs and went into the ditch. He then paniced and hit the gas sending him into a tree at about 10km.  But enough to cause major cowl damage.  

He wasnt that proud.

OH SORRY. I forgot the big news.  I got boots with the stupid metal things that the laces go around.  Anyway as im getting of my sled i drag it accros the seat and rip a small hole in it.  I am pissed.  I went to the dealer to price out a new seat or to see if they could fix it and he told me that maybe we can get it under warrenty.  I dont think it will fly but its worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Permafrost and I were on our way to Haliburton area.We had to stop at our dealer so we trailered there.We are driving along in the truck and we see a group of sledders. Some have crossed the road some havent crossed yet. A guy on a Yammie shoots out in front of the truck oblivious to the 3/4 ton green dodge diesel about to crush him (us).Permafrost locks up the truck and trailer leaning on the horn. The guy makes it to the other side,BARELY.I yell out the window at the guy and he has NO idea he almost died.His buddy saw the whole thing and raced ahead to tell the leader.Scared the bejesus out of me.I hope the guy sees this and is more careful.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Me and my bud where in the wilberforce area back in Feb, as it was approaching dusk, we stoped at an intersection for a break and to check for quickest way back to the cottage. Just before we fired the sleds back up we noticed some movement in near a tree line, my friend saw it first and discovered it was a deer, nothing special, we see them by the tens and twentys every time where in around this area, so we start the sleds my bud turns and said we had better keep a close eye on movement down the trail now that nights approaching the deer would be using this wide rail bed area as a direct root for their night travels. So we get up and go, doing a steady 70-80ks not too fast and I was leading, and when i lead I always keep a close eye on the person behind me, when I noticed his lights no longer in view I started to wonder why so I pulled off and shut her down and listened for his engine noise, and heard none, imediatly thoughts went through my mind, he either broke down, went of the trail, or hit something, I booked it back and coame up to his machine which was just off the trail on the bush edge and thought he might of been hurt, as I approached he had just finished turning his machine back upright from its side. My friend looked to be fine so I was relieved to see him standing, he turned to me with wide open eyes and said he just hit a deer, and I couldn't believe it. As he was crusing behind me at 60-80ks he noticed eyes glaring from the sideline and imediatly locked them up, just as he was down to about 20-35ks the deer jumps out and crosses his path, my bud all he could to steer away but he hit the sucker broad side with the front of the mxz sending the beast into the ditch, and his mxz over on its side. Luckily the deer did not hit my friend as it bounced of the hood and windshield. after checking out the machine we concluded it was safe to ride her back to the cottage (about 50 ks away still), anyways we made it back with one high beam light and no hinges for his hood, it all stayed together suprisingly, and we ducked tape it all together for the next full day ride and all was fine. im grateful he wasn't hurt, just a bit stiff in the neck, I felt sorry for him really because this was the first ride with this new machine and just a bad run of luck.

So keep your eyes peeled at night boys and girls cause you never know what can come out of the bush, i was no more than 8- 10- seconds ahead of him and had my eyes peeled for and glares and saw none, but then agian its usually the secind set of lights that get the animals most of the time.

Keep safe!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
overall, I had a pretty safe and ueventful year.

I think I like it that way. More close calls on the highway, than on the sleds.

fishHog

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Pretty uneventful season for me. My closest call was when we came to a crossing that wasn't marked until the stop sign, which was hidden by trees.

I was following my brother-in-law and he hit the brakes. I was following waaay too close, so I didn't have enough time to stop safely. I hit the brakes as hard as I could and I was going right into the back of him. I swung my back end around with hopes to go around him, but his sled started sliding sideways, too. Just as we were about to hit, he gave his gas and went across. He never knew I was that close. We never hit, but it sure made me back off a bit when following!

·
Registered
75 Posts
The scene... Up North, TransCanada Trail, unfamiliar to me.
I played around a bit and needed to catch up to my buddies. Cruising along around 100k's I can see the three of them up ahead waiting. I crest over one hill and float to the bottom of an another unexpected hill.
Next thing I saw was my gas gauge smacking my faceshield. Right after that my sled and I crested the second hill in mid air but no longer together. Somehow we both stayed on the trail and came out of that with a sore back and a broken shock spring adjuster nut.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts