Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 2001 700 Classic that Darts terribly, it has the OEM plastic skis and is totally stock. We have checked alignment, and played with settings but the concensus seems to be that the oem skis are the problem. My question is....has anyone found any lo-buck ideas to minimize darting? We really do not want to spend 300+ dollars replacing skis to solve it because of budgetary issues. How are the Sno-Stuff "dual carbides"? I also saw oem Polaris skiis with a "keel blade" on them, does it help? any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Take all the pressure you dare off the front springs, let out the front limiter strap all the way, and maybe add a little spring pressure to the front rear suspention shock. This will help as long as you dont loose to much steering. Also re-check your alignment and make sure you have 1/8-1/4 toe OUT on each ski, use a bungi cord to hold the skis together as this takes the slop out.
I found a string line works the best for a straight edge.....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Did you try adjusting the rubber stops underneath the ski spindles? How much carbide are you using? My wife rides a 2001 700 classic, and the only time she complains is when her carbide gets worn down. where do you leave the front shock setting at? this should be able to be corrected within
stock settings.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Like Mikadoo says, setup, setup, setup. Too much weight on the front end.

AL

·
Registered
138 Posts
Get a set of AccuTrak carbides. Take off your skis and drill the extra hole. Slide the new caribdes on and done!! These work great for minimizing darting. They are more expensive then most carbides though. And harder to find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before you do anything  be sure you check the alignment of your track !  makesure you have equal distances of outward distance at the rear idler wheels.  I f one is more thant he other, adjust your tensioner acordingly. NOTE: be sure you have the track suspended and turn it a few times and recheck the  measurements . See the November 2002 issue of SnowGoer magazine. they tell you step by step on ow to do this !!!  

XCR
(polaris, for those who refuse to ride aanything but the best)

·
Registered
326 Posts
You could always do what I did and trade your stock skis to someone with a set of tri-keels who doesn't like them

·
Registered
185 Posts
my dealer told me that they have a weight transfer problem....
especially with the M10
I run the "ACCU STEER" carbides and you will not believe the ride, I mean it is that good.

·
Registered
120 Posts
just slow down...if you don't go fast it won't have anywhere to dart to...lol..J/K

·
Registered
413 Posts
Try the new Woody's Dooly's carbides.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The buddy is trying regular 4" carbides and getting rid of the E-Z Steers, we will see when the snow flies.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It will dart worse without the Ez Steers!!!! They help alot.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I had easy steers and plastic skiis from a 99mach 1 on my 98 formula 500, then I got my 700 with the precision skiis on it.Get the precision skiis they rock. The 500 didnt dart too badly but the 700 almost steered itself. :inlove:

·
Registered
310 Posts
and get bigger carbides! 4" is way too small.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think my wife's sled came with 4" carbide and i changed them to 6" carbide. As I stated earlier she has no problem staying with the group,whoever they may be. she said that when the snow is wet and heavy it darts alittle. I beleive she had a complaint at the end of last year and i knew her carbides were getting worn, i didn't want to replace them cuz it was so close to the end of the season. I just tightened up her front shock springs and she was a happy sledder again. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts