Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do most of you guys like to ride, daylight or nighttime? I prefer daylight riding because I like to see the area and sights I am riding through. I still ride fairly aggressively, but it is nice to be able to stop at Pictured Rocks or Lake of the Clouds and snap off a few pictures. You also have less problems with face shields fogging and more businesses are open. Trail markers and directions are easier to see and read. The only positive reason I have heard for riding at night is that you can tell if another sled is coming from around a corner, that way you can take a wide turn. That extra 5 mph through twisty-turnies just doesn't seem to be that important to me. What about you?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I love riding at night.  It nice to stop in the middle of nowhere and have it pitch black except for a blazing moon.  Also the silence at night when you stop is really peaceful.  Last is the fact that you can see others coming toward you.  

eric

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I do both regularly and greatly enjoy both.  I just don't get out enough to avoid night riding, and we have some great rides at night.  Usually a lot less traffic.
I guess if I had to pick one only, it would be daytime, but I'd use my sled half as much.

FishHog

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Its a toss up but I think I like late night (11pm-4am) riding because there is nobody else on the trails. Day time is nice for scenery and places are at least open. Its tough buying gas at 2am unless your in a town with a 24 hour gas station.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I agree about the late hours. I always take a break between 6-10 in old forge then go cruising till 2AM nothing beats chasing down the groomers and not having to worry so much about a family cruising down the trail. I also like going out when its snowing like a b*tch thats always fun

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I like day riding because its easier to see the terrain and snow dust is more of a problem at night I think.  I ride alot more agresively during the day.  Night riding has gotten alot better with the new lights much better then my dads 70's polaris I learned to ride on.  Its peaceful at night and I get to show off my neon lights.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I like to ride both. Day time for letting it all hang out, and night time for a nice relaxing ride under the moon.  

·
Registered
282 Posts
I like both but I think I like the night riding better for a couple of reasons. First, there are fewer people on the trails, It's easier to see the sleds coming towards you because of the headlights, and also because it is usually alot colder which means the sleds run alot better. The colder it is, the better they rip!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I perfer to ride at night. Especially this year it's usually a little colder and crisp.  I find that it's easier to see on coming traffic which i find a big plus.  And it's always nice to ride under the stars and a full moon(not a full monty).

·
Registered
555 Posts
Daytime riding is the easiest and the safest, except during sunset sunglare, but then we can just ride the other way LOL.

Night can be fun too, especially when out far enough to get away from Light Pollution (City). Did you know there are stars up there?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Lately I'm driving only at night due to the trailering aspect. I have to say that I prefer it. The peacefull quiet of the night while taking a break is excellent therapy. I also find the lights show the terrain better and tend to cause you to ride more cautiously. You can also see other sleds approaching in the bush or from the rear at a distance.

I don't prefer night while broken down trying to guage whether the barking is getting closer or not. This is when the last flicker of light leaves your flashlight. No you can't outrun them in a snow suit and boots, but it does offer some protection from their teeth. LOL

Have a great day!

Scott

·
Registered
428 Posts
I like both the day time for more aggressive riding and the scenery. Then for night being able to see oncoming snowmobile is nice but really what i like about night riding is the feeling of being in the woods or fields far away from roads and houses and shutting the machines off and listening to the peace and quiet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I agree with enduringexplorer
 I like to ride in the daytime.  It is better to see the trail and see when it ends. LOL  I also like to jump drifts and then go back and see how far you went.  Then hit it again and try go farther.  It is better in the daylight to see how bad you wrecked your sled after you roll it.  But part of the reason I don't like sledding during night is because I like to go to bed early and get up early.  

Jeff  

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I like to ride both.  Most trips I ride from like 10 a.m. to like 9p.m. so it gives me almost 50-50 day and night.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fastcat, i disagree about lettin it all hang out during the day. U must have someone up ahead with a communicator letting u know someones coming or just chance it on the corners.  Nightime is when u carve the corners, cant miss them bobbin headlights comin at night.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
we do 95% of our riding in the daytime makes it a little safer to bust powder off trail,lol.  Its way to easy to get into the kill zone on these new high powered rockets at night.  All our episodes seem to have happened at night crashes, blowups and sinkings. The few people that you do meet on the trails up here at night are usually drunk.  We ride in the day and party at night . Tell stories, be loud and drink beer.  

1 - 20 of 22 Posts