Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to the sport, bought a little Polaris 488 fan last winter, and have rented in the past.

Night or Day riding, which do you like more?

In my, rather novice, opinion if you want to rip it up a little, night time is nice because you can see the lights of other sleds way up the trail, and pull back before you get to them.

Daytime I ride much more conservatively due to the fact that so many corners are blind and you have no clue if someone is coming from the other direction.

In either case I ride in my limits on public trails and only really push the envelope on private land.

What do you think?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Riding at night has its perks. It's very fun and I love seeing the lights across a lake that I'm riding on. But then again, there are many cons, can't see as far, or anything like that. Riding in the day is fun too. One of the most obvious reasons is you can see everything around you a lot better. And can do more sight seeing.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
My night vision has gone wayward the last,oh, maybe 5 years. I don't even enjoy driving a car at night anymore.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I'm a night guy on familiar trails. A lot of times I feel like I'm driving in a tunnel. Only one comment, ripping it up or not. I don't overdrive my headlights. I've seen too many people parked in the middle of a trail on the far side of a curve...with no lights on.

AL

·
Registered
692 Posts
stoped on the side w/ no lights on NO NO

in our group if your last and we stop for a apple juice and we hear or see a sled either way the front guy starts up or the back guy starts up............ and if they dont someone usually runs over and starts it for them

·
Registered
546 Posts
I too like the night ride but like michahicks said i to have seen idiots stop and park right on the trail at night.
if it weren't for the fact that i was coming head on to him and seen a flash of his head light. there would be no dought im my mind that the Mach would have been in a thousand or so pieces.
i was on the bay in our area and he could have pulled off the cut trail very easily but didn't and i had the Mach on the bar.
i stopped freaked out on him and left. hope never to see him again.
my guess from what I observed, it was a kid, likely with no licence insurance or experience, night riding to avoid the cops.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i enjoy riding at night cause as was mentioned it is much easier to see oncoming traffic when pushing hard through the woods. it seems to me that it is easier to view the nasty moguls. overall i would say there is less traffic the later one rides too.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Night time! I can see everthing so much better in front of me, the size of the bumps, the upcoming curves, etc.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Start early in the morning. The trails are more likely to be well groomed. The trails are less crowded and truthfully, the drunks don't come out til later.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I prefer riding in the day light, my night site is not the best. I like to get up early and ride hard for a few hours, then find a cafe/inn and grab some grubb. I try to stay off the trail after 1:30am(bar closing).

FZ700

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I enjoy riding familiar trails at night, but if I don't know where I am going I really don't like it, my night vision is like a hawk but I still don't like doing it, there are still to many idiots on the trails for my liking.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
The only PRO of night riding is being able to see oncoming headlights. Even if you are very familar with the trail, night is when all the Deer,Elk and Moose are active. People on the side of the trail are less of a worry around here. As i see parked and stuck, cars and trucks on the trail regularly. There is also the kill zone to deal with as it seems that most of you who are night riding are dooing so to rip at high speeds. Guess what your in the kill zone. You can easily outrun your headlight. Basicaly by the time you see something with your headlight . IT's too late your gonna hit it. This is how most sled deaths happen alcohol or not. Dont mean to preach but thems the facts.

·
Registered
575 Posts
:withstupid: abou the animals being active. Being able to see the head lights coming is a plus too but I like riding in the day. you get to see more. But day or night it is all fun as long as I'm on a sled :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts