Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably been asked before but I cant find it in here. When doing the oil chage on the Diamond Drive should the seals be replaced too or are they ok for a few seasons.
Also wondering what a good clutch kit is for a crossfire 7
I ride both flat land and moutains.

·
10,054 Posts
I didnt pull the front cover when I changed mine,,, I figure I will only do that every other year. Now had I found a lot of metal on the plug when I pulled it, I would have taken it apart,,, but I honestly do not see the need to open it up every year.

Question I have is, do you have to use the special cat DD oil at 5$ for 3 ounces,,, or can I use an amsoil synthetic in there?? At 12 ounces in this sled (reverse), changing chain case oil will start to get expensive.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I didnt pull the front cover when I changed mine,,, I figure I will only do that every other year. Now had I found a lot of metal on the plug when I pulled it, I would have taken it apart,,, but I honestly do not see the need to open it up every year.

Question I have is, do you have to use the special cat DD oil at 5$ for 3 ounces,,, or can I use an amsoil synthetic in there?? At 12 ounces in this sled (reverse), changing chain case oil will start to get expensive.[/b]
The diamond drive sleds don't have a chain case, its a gear box on the underside of the sled. (I thought the gearbox was a factory sealed unit that isn't servicable, but I could be wrong on that.)The diamond drive sleds also cannot have reverse in them, last I knew. In late "06 or "07 they put out the F7 R model(same as the 03-04 F-7's-traditional chaincase but with a reverse kit installed from factory), after numerous complaints of not being able to put reverse on the diamond drive sleds which was all they sold from 05-06.
I use the Cat chaincase oil in my sled and change it out once a year. I dont pull the cover off though, I use a siphon pump to suck the old oil out. I would however like to pull it this year maybe and check the tension on my chain.
If my memory serves me correct it was along these lines:
03-04 traditional chaincase style sleds available only
05-06 diamond drive style sleds available only
(maybe) late06 -"07 all normal model F sleds were diamond drive, but they offered the
F-7 R model which was a standard chaincase design w/ factory installed reverse.
I personally do not care for the diamond drive sleds at all after watching one with 9 miles on it sieze up in the middle of the lake. I also read a report a few months later how that was happening to alot of the diamond drive sleds for one of 2 reasons. Either the seal was letting all the oil out thus siezing them, or the seal was letting water in which was in turn freezing them up. The one I saw go had spewed all its oil out as it was coated all over the bottom of the sled.

The whole point of the diamond drive system is to make the sled have less rolling mass, which helps your low-end acceleration greatly and braking to a degree. It's a great design for the snow-cross sleds as they depend on as much low-end power as possible. I however do not see any advantage to them in a trail/lake situation. Actually mechanically, less rolling mass means less top speed. Less rolling mass will get up to speed faster, but doesnt have the momentum to keep it going like something with a greater rolling mass would.....more rolling mass would just take a bit more to slow it down. :christmas:

·
10,054 Posts
chaincase oil, gearbox oil, same concept is what I was getting at. The gearbox oil is a lot thiner compared to the original chaincase oil.
I have an f6 with reverse, it is a diamond drive, but it is an 07.
On this sled, I did not pull the cover off, I simply pulled the plug out of the back of the DD and drained the oil that way. I then tip the sled on its side and pour in the new. My sled (with reverse) takes 12 ounces,,,, DD without reverse only takes 3 ounces. There is no self contained parts on the DD system. You can pull the cover off and pull the gears right out for inspection if you want to. I myself chose not to pull the cover till next year. I had no metal flakes on the drain plug when I pulled it so I figured I would wait till next year.

Now if memory serves me correctly, there was a diamond drive option of some of the 04 firecats,,, not sure if it was only the f7, or if it was also available in the f6 and f5 also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think 04 were all chaincases except for the ZR 900. Thats what I was thinkin is just pulling the drain plug but I've heard concerns on seals going out but they should last a couple years. I am using the Arctic Cat oil in mine because it is still under warranty but as far as using other brands I don't think Arctic Cat has oil technology that other companies dont have. As long as the other oil meets Ac's specs. Thanks for your input.
Have you had any reverse problems on the diamond drive system?

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's probably been asked before but I cant find it in here. When doing the oil chage on the Diamond Drive should the seals be replaced too or are they ok for a few seasons.
Also wondering what a good clutch kit is for a crossfire 7
I ride both flat land and moutains.[/b]
The 05's had the seals installed backwards (most of them) from the factory, they allowed water in and froze solid. The 06's are all right and you could expect a couple of years out of them. Make sure you change the oil yearly and inspect it for contamination, also make sure you don't overfill it. It holds 3oz with out reverse. Use only the Cat D/D oil, it is super light just like water in a sense.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The 05's had the seals installed backwards (most of them) from the factory, they allowed water in and froze solid. The 06's are all right and you could expect a couple of years out of them. Make sure you change the oil yearly and inspect it for contamination, also make sure you don't overfill it. It holds 3oz with out reverse. Use only the Cat D/D oil, it is super light just like water in a sense.[/b]
That would seem right on! The sled I saw sieze up was a brand new "05. It spewed all the oil though, it was hot when it went..no way it froze. All the oil was sprayed onto the bellypan and track. I felt soo bad for this guy, first time out on the sled and we had to throw it up on its side mid-lake to get the track to unlock, just so we could tow it off the ice. I woulda been HOT....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts