Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Oct purchased new MX800x as a gift for myself after separating from supposedly better half(HA). Because of low snow conditions and work schedule never got to ride 'till yesterday. Left the Snye with a buddy of mine on his 97 Formula 500 Deluxe. Weather was -18C, sunny and we ride about 800 ft elevation .Dealer told me to ride unit in all throttle positions for about 3 hrs to ensure good break-in. Doing about 90k's behind Lenoard when the machine began its death throes. Seized solid. Towed back about 40 k's, tossed it in the back of my truck and off I went for a 3 hr drive to nearest dealer. There we removed y-pipe and found mag piston destroyed. Top half of crown, skirt on exhaust side gone either out pipe or into crank. Looking at a 3-4 week wait but in meantime they did loan a Formula S , 380cc of fan power! Look out now. Anyone have ideas? Know of a number ot Bombie I can call to #####, I mean talk, too? Also, yesterday I was informed of the carb updates but they said it was intended more for higher elevations. Other than a x's hex, any thoughts? A missplaced match sounded good for awhile to me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sounds like a midrange lean condition. From what
I understand about the carb recall, that could
be it.

I'd ask for a new engine. Did you take it back to the
original dealer where you bought it? He should help you
out. How did the other piston look?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm with Gunner.... I'd press hard for a new engine...... I wouldn't want this one back......Man this is a bummer, you pay all that money...... I hope the X (better half)  didn't put a hex on it or something? good Luck..... oh by the way... how does that Fan cooler run??? I've had a few of those  in years past!!  DooZ

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input you guys. The PTO piston and plug looked fine. Plug had a nice copper tone to it. And yes I am going for a new engine. Thats why I was looking for a good contact at Bombie for or a # to the Western rep to yap at. Before the breakdown the machine ran great. Other than no protection at all from the windsheild and need studs for the rear of the machine to keep up with the new skis I was very impressed with it. My other machines were a'97 Formula 583 and a '97 Mach 1. I didn't realize how well this thing rode, handled until I took Leonards 500 back to the Snye to get my truck. No handle bar twitch, ride was so smooth power comparison would be unfair but the differences otherwise were phenomanal. I don't think the 800 would match the Mach for top end but torque and, more importantly, ride/ handling, the machines don't compare. And it only took 2 of us to load it onto the deck of my truck whereas it would of taken 4 to load the dead Mach. That's expereince speaking. As regards to how does the 380 run, don't know yet. Going for a ride today with my son so I'll let you know later. Bought him a '99 Formula 500 Deluxe 2 yrs ago. At the time he was 10 but I wanted a machine with 5 specific features and that was the only one on the market. Fan cooled for heat for him, electic start, reverse, short track and, to me the most important feature that should be on all entry level machines, a hydraulic brake rather than cable. I can control thottle position for him, but I can't help him with brakes. Which reminds me that I should go out and turn it down more so he doesn't beat me on the 380! Dad's rule, kids drool! HA!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've never had both sides seize - even if both carbs were
bad. Usually one will go first in my experience. With the
midrange condition though, the other piston should have
shown some signs of burn on the top of the piston or
at the exhaust side.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Sounds like a production defect on the piston.  Maybe during heat treatment or some crap.  

Till then watch out with that 380fan.  There not that fast but there fun.  Tell us how fast it goes.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Also I would call 715) 848-4957 USA or (819) 566-3366 Canada and demand a new out of the box motor for your sled.  For the money you paid for it theres no excuse for them making you run with a rebuilt engine.  

The numbers above are for bombardiers customer assisstance.  

Remeber when you call to write down who you talked to and what you talked about. Also have your machines serial number and your info with you.

You can also e mail them at
[email protected]

Good luck

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have a 01 mxz800 adren that was in the recall for bad pistons, I leave in 4 days for a no snow Maine trip. I hope mine holds up now....... ???

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
If the carb update has not be done on this machine it will burn down quickly!!!!! Not always will it take both sides of the engine. Mikuni did not get the siphoning tubes high enough into the carb throat to draw enough fuel into the motor. This will create a lean condition that the DPM will not make up do to it thinking that eveything is fine ( No O2 probes).

Brian

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On Nov. 15/01 I purchased an '02 Mxz800x from the closest dealership to my city of 56,000. This dealership is 3 hours
south of me which makes it a bit of a bother to get any work done. Anyway. Due to my work schedule I was not able to ride it
'till after Christmas at which time myself and a freind of mine went out for a couple of hrs ride as per my dealerships instructions
to aid in a proper break-in of the engine. I was riding on the river, approx800 ft sea level, sunny with temps around -18C. My
speed was about 90km/hr at about 700rpm and I maintained that speed for about a klik or so to remain behind my buddy. The
first item I had installed on the unit was an engine water temp guage( which should be standard on these machines by the way)
and it was showing the temp it normal operating range. It still had the first tank of mixed gas and I have to say, other than the
useless windsheild and needing more track to keep up with the new ski's in the corners, I was very impressed with the machine.
Until it began its death throes. Once it came to a stop I said a prayer because in '97  I purchased a new Formula 583 which
seized under almost the same conditions at almost the same location. At that time we had a local dealership and I immediately
traded it for a new '97 Mach 1. It turns out that the 583 had some sort of carb recall to correct a problem. The Mach1? It was
a bonus I purchased the B.E.S.T. program because the engine was rebuilt once and 3 times new engines dropped in due to
seizures!  I always run high grade fuel and put extra oil in my gas to aid lubrication. My oil of choice is Ski-Doo's synthetic. The
2nd drop in engine was actually meant for my buddys '97 Grand Touring but he was going on vacation and told the shop they
could put it in mine as there was a wait time for engines. That engine made it out of the shop about 7kms 'til it sezed on the
mechanic riding it. I do not have those units serial #'s here but can get them for you if needed to verify this. I keep all receipts
and the Mach cost, to you and me, $30,082 in less than 2 yrs to operate, not including fuel or oil. Not to mention the time down
or aggevation it caused.
 Back to today. Once we towed the machine back I carried it for its 3 drive to the dealership were we pulled off the y-pipe
and found the mag side piston destoyed as well as the cylinder. It was also at this time I was informed of another "carb recall"!
The dealersip offered me a coice of 3 machines as a 'loaner'. An 800Adreniline, a Tundra and a Formula 380S. Not trusting the
800 and wanting to ride with my 12 yr old son I chose the S.
 I live in northern Alberta where temps can drop rapidly to -35 or -40 from -20 in an hour or so. These machines can travel in
10 minutes further than I care to walk or can walk in those temps. Espically if my son is with me. I have lately been going on
websites and found numerous complaints about this 800. Far more than would warrent it being picked "Snowmobile of the
Year". Most complaints regard fuel consumption and the finding of people with egt probes that at midrange the unit tends to run
hot. Very hot. Until it goes to wide open throttle were it cools down. Numerous fixes have been suggested ranging fom
re-jetting to installing washers under the e-clip. After spending $14,000 for this machine I do not want to be trying to fix your
problem. As I stated before it gets very cold here in a hurry and I definitley do not want to try and survive out in the bush. Nor
do I want to have to run at WOT when riding with some guys or my 12 yr old son.
 Unless you can fix this problem or tell me what happened to it I do not want it back. This will be the third product I have
purchased from your company that has caused me nothing but greif from the start. It is at Mellots R.V. in Grassland Dealer #
69-1953 were I think they are installing a piston and cylinder. A new engine would have been nice but an answer to what
happened even better. As I said I do not want it back if I cannot trust it. Riding is one thing but a person can get in serious
trouble or harm if it fails when least expected to. And you do not expect a machine to fail at 150kms. The Serial number is
2BPS217262V000312 Eng # M5541441. This letter will be posted on Snowmobileworld.com as well as what your timely
response will be. I feel I owe this to whoever else bought one of your products and are feeling the same frustrations I am.
      Thank-you
         Robert Chafe

·
Registered
184 Posts
I hadthe recall done on my sled then
brought it home and imidiately tore it apart and had swain tec
ceramic coat the piston tops and teflon coat  the sides.

my experience is that after this cheep up grade it s vertualy
impossible to burn down your engine..

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Bobber.  It is not a bombardier problem.  I would put money on the dealer that set it up for you is whos to blame.  I bet they didnt sync the carbs or oil pump or somthing.  I would buy from a diffrent dealer.  

I buy my machines from central outboard up here in canada and there machines are bullit profe.   You can hold the throttle to the bar and the thing never brakes.  But there the oldest dealer in canada so I think they know what there doing.  

Good luck in what every your trying to accomplish.  I would still be demanding a new engine.  Even if there hard to get i would want one and have them fix your old engine in the mean time.  Dont rant and rave at them just demand what you want.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
bobber, you may have to ##### a little at bombi but im sure they will fix it.a friend of mine threatened to drive his rig through the front window of bombi when they would not replace his blown mach motor.after he treatened them he had a new motor in 2 days. a french speaking friend might get you a lot farther than threats but the dealer who sold the sled to you should be going to bat for you.on the other hand i had a friend who blew the crank in his summit and they replaced the crank 2 yrs PAST warrenty and gave him another year warrenty after replacing the blown one.good luck bobber.
 :D  :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's an update on that machine of mine down for repairs. First of all the 380 fan was fun, for awhile. Yesterday I took my mom(up from Nfld visiting) and Cuddles(my JRTT) for a 130 km in to Grand Rapids to enjoy the day before the plus 11 temps came and took what little snow we have. Thank goodness for fan cooled machines on the ride back with very little snow! The difference between it and my sons 500 DLX are quite apparent after riding the 2. Ski stance narrower- tippy, noisier, the brakes alone could invovle a story themselves! But the biggest was a surprise to me, and it could be interesting if Ski-Doo does have a 900cc + twin out there, was the vibration level between the 2. Moms first comment was regarding the vibration thru the handlebars after riding both. And she rode the 380 first in then the 500 back. The machine was fun, until you ride something just up from it. Both machines are S2000 chassis's with a few differences between the 2 that really add up. I am atributing the vibration to the diff's in clutchs. The 500 has the TRA while the 380 is is a Square Block, I think. So Ski-doo could tweak that TRA more for better vibration contol I'm sure.
  Now the news. Talked to Ski-Doo and taking machine back not an option. Didn't think it was but I was choked. However they will not leave any stone unturned to find cause of the failure. For now engine will not be replaced, or at less until they get parts back for inspection, at which time more will follow. So now a piston, cylinder and head are installed. I should get it tomorrow as the shop want to do more testing. Testing for what you may well ask? Appears there may have been 2 causes. First was the carb update, which I will drop a little personal surprise on you guys and gals. 2nd was the loss of coolant thru coolant clamps. Some got tightened up more by 5 turns!!! So they want to run unit up to temp a few times and pressure check system. The surprise? I now know why I got no info from Ski-Doo. Service Rep discovered that the machine is not registered to me! Shes correcting that now so they can send me info and the typical propaganda that goes with it.
  Thats it for now. Today its +8 so doubt I'll be riding much once I get it back. Might even be sorry for giving up that 380, vibration and all.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got to return the 380 fan today as it got sold. Alas no snowmobiling for Bobber. No odds as there is no snow left. While at the shop got to see my machine and the damaged components. WOW!!! Did that piston ever get destoyed! Whats left to it has lots of cracks in it where it was stressed before seizing. Lots of piston material left on the cyl. The machine is back together but not running right. It appears to be running on 1 and 1/2 cyls until after half throttle at which time it goes REAL good according to the mechanic. They've had it together since Saturday but cann't figure out why it will not run right. They are in contact with Bombie techincal to try solve it but no luck yet. Driving back I was thinking about the mag side rod and crank. That piston got torn apart at about 7000rpm. What kind of load do you guys think would have placed on the rod and crank? I should of taken a picture of the piston to download. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay. Here's the lowdown on whats happenin' with that 800X. Guess the crank was not replaced, nor the engine. Just the piston, cyl and head but it ran rough. Dealer informed me today it is finally ready after they changed the carbs. The mag side was defective somehow. But I was extremely ticked at Ski-Doo and called a few times. Here are my choices:
/Take machine back and try it. If not happy return it and get my money back. If happy with it keep it and get extra warranty.
/Give machine back and get another Ski-Doo product.
/ Get money back and buy a Polaris XC700 here local.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I would see if they can repair it again. Or bring it back and demand a Machz at no extra cost.  

It wasnt skidoos fault it was mikuni carbs and almost all the manufactors use them.  

Stick with skidoo I have had nothing buy good luck with them and when there running right there like no other.  

If you insist on the mxz try to switch it for a 700.  They have almost no problems, run way smoother and hold with the 800 in a drag race.  Plus its lighter and better on gas.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts