Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone through 2 batteries already on my 2002 Legend 500, 1 was while I was out in the middle of the woods
.  Anyone know what could be causing the drain or failure to re-charge itself?  Stator maybe?  When the battery dies, it kills everything, won't even pull start, no lights, nothing.  As soon as I re-charge the battery everything works fine and will run for about a day and a half until and then dead again.  The machine only has 500 miles on it.
I'm taking it back to the dealer in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping this is covered under warranty.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Put a meter on the battery terminals once you get it started by pull starting it with a charged battery.  If should read somewhere between 13 - 14v. But i think your gonna find a negitive or drain.

I think that your sled has a bad stator and is only running of the battery.  But im not sure if the electronics on the sled would allow that since the lights dont come on until the engine is started. Its just a guess.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Sounds like a charging system/stator issue for sure like machzz said.Once the battery is dead there is no juice to power anything as none is being produced.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
just a suggestion....if you are using an electric visor, you ARE unplugging it when you leave the sled, right?  

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not left anything plugged in...I even tried putting the hand/thumb warmer switches in the "off" position when I'm done riding it.  I have eliminated all possible drains that I could control.  I'm not sure how the charging system works in these new sleds, but you have to wonder what good the pull start is if it's not gonna run anyway when you run into a situation like this.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
If i am correct.  I do not think that you can drain the battary by leaving somthing pluged in or turned on.  The battery only serves one purpose, To provide power to the electric starter.  

Once it has your engine running the stator give power to all the accessories and charges the battary.

Now because of this i also find it hard to belive that when you did have it running that your battary powered all accessories plus running light and engine since its not even suppost to do anything other then power up the starter.  Plus with the amount of power you need to run a engine and power all the assessories i dont imagine it would last very long. 

IMO when you start the engine the battery recives a 13 volt current the same as all the other accessories.  

So i belive your problem is much bigger. It doesnt make sense.  

I would think that i could go and take the battery out of a sled and still run it using the pull cord.  

Im thinking that you have a loose connection or that somthing is shorted out.  Check all your fuses and if you do get it running again check with a meter to see what the battery is getting or giving.  It still is possible that the battery was running the whole engine but i just dont see how.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
It is possible to kill a battery by leaving a helmet plugged in....I won't say how I found that out....

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Both of our old everests would run without the batteries in them. The 444 had hand warmers and w/o the battery ran them. The headlights would blow out though w/o the battery because of to much charge to them. I would think that it should be able to run w/o the battery. Just my thought and experience.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Rocketman, If the helmet plug was installed correctly it should only recive power once the engine is started.

I think the 12v helmet plug is identicle to the battary charging wires.  When you fire up the sled 12v is supplied to all accessorys including the battary wires.  

IMO The battary is only connected to the starter for crank up.

Skidoo would never build a sled that had to rely on a battery to run if it didnt need to be. IMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi folks -

SOLUTION:
The no charging issue was due to a bad voltage regulator. I brought the sled in for service and they replaced that and added a new battery and now all is working fine. I am just still perplexed as to why Skidoo would have a single point of failure like this on their new sleds. I just don't think it is right to have the sled rely on the battery for operation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's not relying on the battery, it's relying on the voltage regulator. Pull your battery terminals off and check for a spark, you should have one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts