Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone remember that guy selling the Cougar in NY for $5000?

Well, last night I found his exact opposite.

I was walking my dog and I noticed a guy in his garage moving some stuff around and there was an old ZRT 600 in the corner.

I walked up the driveway and just said hello and told him that I had just moved into the neighbourhood.

We chatted for a bit and I asked him how much sledding he did.

He tells me that the machine belonged to his brother and that he left it to him when he left the country to work in the Southern US and that he had ridden it twice since 1999, it ended up being a 97 ZRT with 1800 miles.

The last time he rode it he says he must have hit something and torn the belt.

I told him I knew a bit about the machines and I could take a look at it.

When I looked under the hood, the belt was fine, and then he says, no, no, the Big one at the back(meaning the track)

It looks like someon cut the thing with a pair of scissors and then kept riding it, the track was cut 3/4 thru between the lugs.

He said that his buddy told him that it would cost about $2000 to fix it so he just never used it again.

We chatted a bit more and then I told him I had a machine like that one but it didn't run and ask if he would sell me some parts.

I ended up giving him $1500 for the whole sled and he was concerned that I was paying too much.

I got the machine home and emptied the carbs and tank and then put some new fuel in(I was up until 3am) It started after about 10 pulls and ran pretty good.

I am going to go over it completely this weekend but I think I got a pretty good deal, it definitely needs a track but that's fine with me.

Anyone have a 121 in track for sale?

DP

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
If all it needs is a track, you got a smoking deal on that sled! :thumbsup:
If you are looking to pipe it, I have a set of stage II PSI pipes, matching clutch components, and Digitron egts for it that I took off of my '97 that I just sold. ;)

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Trevor,

I was just going to PM you and ask if you had anything left from yours.

I don't know what I am going to do with the machine yet, I was offered $2000 by a guy at work about 10 minutes ago.

These sleds go for about $4000 or so here in Canada so I might replace the track and sit on it until thes first snowfall when everyone gets the itch.

I will let you know though.

Thanks

Donovan

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Time for some pics of the score! Sounds like a great deal. They are great sleds, and '97 had the good rear ETT skid correct? So a good deal indeed.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I have a bunch of spare spring, weights, a couple straight angle helix's, mid height windshield, stock handlebars, and a few other misc. things, besides what I listed above, left over. Will most likely have a "garage sale" on ebay. :)
Check the main jets in that bad boy, if you haven't already. Most people run them too rich. Look at the recommendation on the belt guard and jet 2-3 sizes down from what they recommend for temp. and altitude. Also check and see if the throttle safety switch has been bypassed. That thing can cause allot of grief if it's still hooked up.
Sounds like you should be able to make some good money on the deal one way or another!hehe :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Sled Dogg, they do have the ETT which is good for the trails, but sucks almost as bad as TSL when you are trying to drag. You have a hard time hooking up off the line, and the the tunnel actualy causes drag at high speeds. I'm going to pick up a '96 zert somewhere down the road to race. Much better chassi and tunnel for it. ;)

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to get some pics as soon as I get my Digital camera back.

My Sister and her husband have taken it on vacation with them.

I might have to borrow the Digital video camera from work.

I have always wanted one of these sleds, I almost had one last year for $1500 US and I thought I was getting a deal.

I have heard that these things just rip and that they will scare some 700 and 800's.

I don't know what to do now. I was looking at your new 900 PH and started thinking, if I wait until the first snow, I could probably get $6000 or so for the Formula Z and at least $3500 for the ZRT,

A ZR 900 lists for about $11,000 and an F7 is about $10,000.

I could buy a brand new sled without any financing.

Come on SNOW!!!

DP

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Some guys just have horseshoes shoved up their....... :)

You gotta love finding a good deal like that.

FishHog

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The 97s are the best year for teh ZRT6, most HP. They are a big sled, but run real good, but there are 3 major things they had problems with, and were under recall, but they were the kinds of recalls they do when you bring it back broke.

1 - The plastic blocks that attach the rear susp. springs were not shimmed correctly and pull the springs towards the rail. What happens this puts side force on the bolc, whih then breaks, spearing thru the track and up into the tunnel. I would hate to see you tear up a new track!! This was a problem, cause I have 2 friends who boutgh 97 ZRT6s on the same day, and both of these blocks broke on them the same day. Cat covered the parts, but not the track cause they had studs in them.

The fix was a new plastic block, but they put a shim behind it to let the spring ride farther away from the rail. 1998 on all came this way.

2 - The motor mounts between the clutches were notoriously bad on the 97's and there were several "updated" mounts till they got it right. If it is not broke, it will. If you are keeping the sled, invest in a torque stap that holds the motor still front to back.

3 - The safety switches always mess up on them. If they are not allready bypassed, then do it. Cat included the bypass in the tool kits on these sleds back then.

They also had some stator problems, so if she don't start, or won't shut off, start looking there.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
You're right. I just checked my model and it's almost 1/4" off. I will shim it when I put it back together. Great tip. Something I had overlooked.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
great steal man i was offered a 97 600 like that for 2385 that had 4000 mi on it throw on a 2 in lug track and your set about 2000 dollars if you get a new used track thats not a bad deal at all for only 1800 mi good job

·
Registered
741 Posts
There is one I looked at this summer, it was an 800 though I think a 95. Very clean, he wanted $2300.00 for it. I offered $1500.00 but was rejected, I didn't really need the sled, the track had a couple studs torn out.He also had a 95 zr700 that was wrecked missing engine but said it "was in storage" they wanted $1200.00 for. I sold a 96 600 that needed a track this spring for $1200.00, it was a little beat up, I am putting a track on it for the new owner for $75.00 in the next couple of weeks. Kevin

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Sleddinfool,

Was it you that bought that ZRT in the Detroit area last March and sold it to a guy at work???

Just wondering, I was on my way to Detroit from here to buy it and the seller let it go to someone, I thought it was you?

If it was, thanks for letting me know, I would have been upset if I drove 5 hours and it was sold.

He never did get back to me at all, even to say that he sold it.

Oh well.

DP

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also got a "good" deal this year on my cougar. I paid $800.00 canadian for it and it only has 924 original miles!!!!!!! It looks brand new and it also has hand and thumb warmers, 96 studs, easy steer kit, extra belts, and anything else the guy had with it. I'm looking to sell it and buy something newer and better looking and I took it to a parts dealer and he offered me $2000.00 for it. So now I'm just looking for another sled to buy and then sell the cougar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts