Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
??? I encounterd something yesterday that I thought would make a good topic to discuss.
I was at the Yamaha Dealer in Rapid City SD looking at the new RX-1 and asked the sales manager how the sled handles the deep snow. He proceeded to hand me an article from some snowmobile magazine that someone had written on the sled. I told him that I really wanted to know if the sled would work in the deep snow and had he had a chance to ride it or had he heard first hand how it worked, his answer was that he does not ride sleds in the mountains. I asked him if he had any sales people that could help me NO! was the answer. I may be way off base here but to my way of thinking the dealer should have a first hand knowledge of his product before he tries to sell it to someone that way he could honestly answer the buyers questions.
The same day I went to the Artic Cat dealer since the Yamaha dealer obviously would not be of much help; At the Cat dealer I was looking at the new F7 and since it was fairly clear that the sled had not been designed with the mountain rider I mind I asked if they had any experience long tracking them; Of course you can and they work great! Really when did you guys get to ride them? well we haven't really ridden them but we hear they work great.
I was amazed that a dealer would sell a sled and also tell someone to spend $900 to long track it and not have the slightest idea that the thing would do the job.
I have been riding sleds for 26 years and this is the first time this has happened; I guess the dealers are getting desperate since we have had no snow for the past three years.
I might mention here that I contacted the Cat dealer in Laramine Wy and asked them about the F7 in the mountains; and they had the chance to test them last year in the powder and the sled is a dog or rather it trenches real bad and does the same with or without a long track. I was told they did not even order any F7's since they are mountain sled dealers and did not feel comfortalbe selling them for mountain use.
Guys am off base here or should these dealer at least know a little more about their product?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Your not way off base, I have never had an acceptable experience with a dealer. I might cut them a little slack on the rx-1 though, since it is the first year it's been out. No one has had a chance to ride it yet.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I agree with tegs most dealers have not really had a chance to ride them yet and the most they are going to be able to tell you is what there pr people tell them. i have always had a problem with buying new sleds because in most cases they do not allow test rides. I think with a 9000 dollar sled there should be some demo models to ride before they ask us to spend our money!!!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Wish I had the money, I'd have a dealership with a year round indoor test area. Can't be too hard, they have hockey now in FL and TX. :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
One more point to make here kenny if you want to buy a sled to drive in the mountains. Buy the one made for the mountains all the brands make them why buy the lake racer or ditch banger for the mountains. I mean Polaris has the SKS and Skidoo has the Renegade which will give you the best of both worlds. This is what you should be looking to buy if you want a sled can do both. Since it sounds like you don't want the mountain sled like the RMK, Summit and Mountain max or Cat.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I went to an Arctic Cat dealer here in NH and was looking at the firecats and asked the dealer where the tool kit was, and he told me that they did not come with one. :( and that he was going to contact AC to find out what the deal was. A week or so later I went to a different AC dealer. and asked him why the firecats did not have tool kits? And he says. What are you talking about, sure they do. and proceded to pull the front part of the seat back and expose the kit to me. :) This makes me wonder alot about some of these dealers. I mean Cmon. He sells these sleds and didnt even know where the tool kit was :doh: I am really glad I turn the wrenches on my own sled. :cussing:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Knowlegdable sales and service is a big issue and problem in many industries. The reason I am with cat is because of the dealer here in Hillsboro, NH. They are the largest cat dealer in the world. Sold double the no. of sleds last year over the 2nd largest dealer. These guys are great. They all ride, the 11 mechanics, the owners, their wives and kids and they support 2 race teams as well. They give a fair trade when upgrading, even warranty their used sleds for a year. On top of all that they let you demo any sled you are interested in. Maybe that explains why they are the top dealer. 560 new sleds, and 275 used sleds in 2002. To bad other dealers couldn't learn from them. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
If they are the largest cat dealer in the WORLD, That explains why Cat is so far behind ,,, Polaris has many dealers that sell over 600 new per year..Just thinking out loud.... not slaming dealer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I guess I should have qualified my comment. Largest cat dealer. This info by the way is straight from the dealer who has the plaque to prove it. :0:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If you can find a copy of AltcityII on DVD, there is a special section on the RX1 mountain.

·
Registered
468 Posts
:withstupid: i'm in the same boat ..i live in southeastern saskatchewan,i find the dealers have no knowledge of what they are selling but there sled is always the best.but i'm not sure they know why,except because thats the brand they sell.and most of the time the service and parts departement aren't much better.i have been eating ,breathing and sleeping sleds since i was old enough to know what they where,and it amazes me that i know more about the product than the people trying to sell em.i must admit there are a few dealers out there that are knowledgable about the product and are snowmobilers like us.one dealer that seems to know there sleds is moosemountain leisure in carlyle sask.they are a cat dealer and even though i don't ride cat the yknow there sleds and give you the straight up on them.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Its mostly because the dealers are too cheap to send the mechanics to the school. Like Arctic cat school, skidoo school, or any of those. They have a new thing every year, so the mechanics are SUPPOSED to know the new technology.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Knowledge is power.

it is a tough sell when you don't know your own product and also a great thing is to know the competition. if the dealer doesn't know product he's selling it can the best and he will be giving it away for no profit.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I got a good one ! I went to a large dealership in Milwaukee called Sportland 2 " dont tell my cousin" and I walked in nobody helped me for about 45 min,and I was wearing a suit :0: I was thinking about a ski-doo :doh: at least I was open minded hey MACHZZZ1! :D Well a woman came up to me and ask if i needed help so I said yes and ask her th usual ?'s: and mind you she was a snowmo sales person: she said she would get sombody else .30 min later a salesman came , I asked him the same ?'s after 20 min of comparing SKI-DOO'S and ARTIC CATS HE TOLD ME TO BUY A YAMAHA. They dont sell yamahas. note: the salesman worked at a yamaha dealer before: After walking out confused !!! I saw my cuz and bought another true blue :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I definetly agree. I have two dealers close to me. I've done business with both and will never do business with one again if I can help it. The one owner has no clue whats up and never rides sleds. The one day i was in there looking at sleds and asked a price and he said it would be a good deal but had to wait for this other guy to get back. The one guy is the only one that knows anything out of 7 employees. My other dealer the owner is the president of the snowmobile club and also works in the shop when needed. He can never beat the other guys price but everyone still comes to him.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
bone daddy,
wearing a suit and they asked if they could help you, that's pretty good because i'm it sure looked like you were a charity case wearing a suit.LOL.

the problem when two people meet is the first few seconds and if the proprietor can get past that then he has it beat right off the bat. think about it ? when someone walks up to you and asks "do you need any help" or "who needs help" your first thought is "no". for some of these proprietors they need a little basic training in meeting people. when i meet people for the first time like that i say "how may i help you ?" or "welcome to such and such sales, my name is paul yarek and yours ?". it takes the negative thoughts right out of the air immediately. with all negatives out of the air the customer becomes relaxed and wants to see what the proprietor has to offer.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Originally posted by Rusty@Nov 16 2002, 11:25 PM
If they are the largest cat dealer in the WORLD, That explains why Cat is so far behind ,,, Polaris has many dealers that sell over 600 new per year..Just thinking out loud.... not slaming dealer.
Your post cracks me up.........cat so far behind ......when was the last time you saw a cat with angle iron welded to the front of a trailing arm..C'mon we all know who is behind.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You've got it right NHSCALEGATOR40. See you are from Concord. Maybe we can meet up on the trail someday this season.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kenny,

I've brought this topic up before. I'm like you, I can't believe the lack of knowledge some dealers and their salespeople show toward their product and the industry as a whole.

I guess some people look at it only as a business, but having somebody talking to customers, who is enthusiastic about snowmobiling, would be good for business.

And then theres setup: How many sledders out there were completely happy with their setup when they got their sled?

I think laziness has something to do with it. I don't think it's too much for customers -- who lay out $7-10,000 for a new sled -- to expect their dealer to be something of an expert on the industry/sport and on their particular brand.

Dealers could work harder and the ones who really can't get enthused about sledding and sled sales should get out of the business.

And we customers need to do our part. That is, we shouldn't grind a dealer down to the lowest OTD price possible and expect service when the guy can't afford to hire good people at key positions.

I'd rather pay MSR to a good reliable dealer, who I know I can count on should something be needed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts