Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kinda tool do I need to measure deck height?
How accurate do I need to be for the rkt head?
Also, I pulled me head off just to check things out and seen some carbon build up on it. More on the mag side. Plugs always looked decnt too. Whats that all about? Temps seemed alright according to the digitrons.
All stock- motor, pipes, silencer, and carbs.

One more thing....I took my coolant hoses and bottle off searching for a tiny leak somewhere on the mag side. I could see a few drops of coolant just above the recoil. I noticed some leakage coming from, what I thought was a head gasket leaking. Doesn't seem to be though, almost looks like the hose coming from the water pump is rubbing on a cylinder head bolt and might have warn through.
Anyways what i'm getting to is that, in the inside of my collant bottle, the bottom of it is coated with what looks to be a black greasy film. I scraped some with a screw driver and feels like some kinda greasy.What the f--- it that? Only thing I can think of is maybe a sealed bearing in the water pump is bad. I even found a piece of silicone wrapped up in the thermostat. The stat looked good though. Where did that come from?
your thoughts welcome
josh

·
Registered
556 Posts
You will need a straight edge and a dial indicator. I could explain how to use it but you might feel more comfortable talking to kelsey at rk-tek. If you run a .006 base gasket like he suggests you should be around 13-1 ratio. His number is 801-774-7331.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks speed!!! Its going to be a summer project. I think what I will do when i'm ready to tackle this project is take it to a local machine shop in town and have them read the measurements. They would be more accurate then I would be, plus I don't have the tools to get that accurate. I was told on snowest to take the head off and measure deck height and add it to the ledge on the head. It doesn't sound to hard to measure if ya have the tools.
I just bought a used set of crankshop pipes. The head will probably complement the pipes really good I hope. I am thinking of porting the cylinders also but I don't really know who to send them too yet. I could use some suggestions for some good shops if you guys know who does exceptional work. I hate wasting money just like everyone else.
thx again speed.
josh

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I meant is...the deck height added to the ledge is what kelsey wants. I do believe.
josh

·
Registered
400 Posts
You can get a dial indicator and stand from Sears
for under $100. I found it worked fine for measuring
the deck heighth and step in the head.

You can use the Dial indicator to get TDC and then
measure the deck height on each side of the piston
in line with the wrist pin.

The only problem with the dial indicator is that the
tip is round rather than a sharp point. It is removable