Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few sleds with Dess cords. Do they actually prevent thefts, or do we have a false sense of security? I wonder what the theft stats. are of sleds with or without it are? If I park in with a bunch of Arctic Cats which all use the same key will that help? ;)

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
without the DESS cap, the engine is only allowed to run at 3000rpm by the MPEM. Now...does your sled engage at less than 3000 rpm? ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard of sleds towed away by thieves with a rope on the front end! Are sleds with dess less likely to have this happen because only a dealer can program a dess cord? By the way my sled engages at 500 rpm, at 3000 I'm a blur!!! HA HA :p :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
you can program upto 5 sleds on one cord :nervous: .

the dess is a could THEFT DETERENT system.

The best theft deterent IS A POLARIS COVER. YOU KNOW IT WILL NEVER GET STOLEN THEN :devil:

·
Registered
279 Posts
My 1998 formula 111 700 got stolen dess and all, a 98 xc 700 was right next to it and was untouched. IMO the dess is just another potential electrical problem. Keep it simple please. I trust a lock and cable now!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
A few years ago my 98 mxz 670 and a buds 99 mxz 670 ho were sitting beside each other in the parking lot.We went in for dinner,came out and mine was gone.The 99 had dess and the 98 didn't ??? You tell me if it works or not.

·
Registered
387 Posts
if they want it they are going to take it!

but I am sure it cuts down on the spirit-of-the-monent a-holes, you know the ones that after a six pack think they should have been ridding something better... :)

I know some cats and poos that have had the same key in new models for years, now surely that isn't the way to go!

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
mustardman are you sure that is correct?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I knew you could program more than one DESS cord the same but i didnt realize it was 5. LadyK and I are going to program both our DESS cords the same this year and have one spare. Should stop the mix ups lol.

·
4,440 Posts
its the mpem that takes the progaming of the tether.the tether does not know which sled its on.I have 5 tethers progamed on the 3 dess sleds,in the stable.so really your progaming the sled to accept another tether.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
when i bought my sled last month the dealer told me that i could get a spare tehter, but in order for me to do that they need the sled and the tehter that came with the sled. so i dont think you can program 5 sleds on one tehter. its the program in the tehter and machine thats makes this thing work not just the tehter.

·
Registered
240 Posts
DESS beats the $hit out of a key. Of course they still can be dragged away. I believe in chains also. Even then, if they brought a wrench and really wanted it, they could still get it. There is only so much you can do.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Originally posted by ViperER2@Nov 17 2002, 03:02 PM
if they want it they are going to take it!

but I am sure it cuts down on the spirit-of-the-monent a-holes, you know the ones that after a six pack think they should have been ridding something better... :)

I know of a sled that was stolen out of a locked compound at a motel in Timmins during the winter of '01. Whoever stole the sled had to move a couple of sleds away from the hole they had cut in the fence to slide the sled out. There were newer & bigger cc sleds than his in the lockup. Obviously, someone needed "that" sled.

I was in Parry Sound at the Jolly Roger during New Years '96. The thieves unbolted the skis of 2 sleds that the owners had chained together. They took skis off another sled (same style ski). Then took the 2 sleds.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
after they get the sled it is not a huge problem to reprogram, but it is easier to steal a sled without dess.

·
Registered
132 Posts
From what I've seen, sled theft seems to be a bigger problem in Canada than it is here in the US.

Aside from that, if someone really wants your sled they're going to take it with or without DESS, but as already mentioned DESS should offer more security than a regular key. With the keys, at least on skidoos anyway, its easy to lift the hood, unplug the ignition module at the back and away you go!

I try to park my sled so that I can see it when I'm in a restaurant or whatever.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You can get the DESS cord programmed for 5 sleds... you can also erase it so if you buy another DESS sled, you can use your "spare" one on your new machine. I just asked my dealer for a spare key when I picked up my REV and it took them just a few minutes to do.

If someone wants to pickup your machine and go, no "key system" is gona stop that. A dealer is not supposed to program a key unless that sled is proven to be yours. If someone steals the DESS programming system from a dealer, or a crooked employee works at one, it wouldnt be hard to change. Or... maybe buy a new MPEM box?

The sled will not run at all without a DESS lanyard. If its an incorrect one, it will run but not rev enough to engage a clutch. I think the logic behind that is that because there is no battery, how would you know if you lanyard was incorrectly plugged on (ie snow/dirt in the plug) when you tried to start it.. you could spend alot of time looking at other stuff before realizing that.

·
1,327 Posts
If you want to see what happens with the wrong lanyard, try putting your correct one on and then pulling it off slightly.

The machine won't rev and the key light on the dash starts flashing when you try to rev.

I did this and though I had bought a lemon, then after many, many descriptive adjectives directed at the the seller I determined the problem.

Good thing I didn't call him and make a fool of my self eh???

·
4,440 Posts
lets please keep this correct,you cannot program anything to the tether period.you can program the tether to the sled.sled accepts 5 tethers not the other way around. ;).I am sure when mxzwfo sees this he will say this is correct,and he was a dealer.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Acording to my owners manual, it says the tethers are all unique and that the mpem can be programmed to accept up to 8 tethers.

·
Registered
539 Posts
when my dealer programed my wife and my sled the same he also added in the books. Our named, phone number, address and date purchased....Iff anyone tries to change the settings it will show up with us as owners..

1 - 20 of 46 Posts