Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ski-Doo men!!

I replace my base gasket on my 809 engine because some anti-freeze spill under exhaust manifold during summer(center cylinder).The engine has only 4000 milles.To prevent this ,do you suggest me to use loctite 515(gasket eliminator) on the 2 side of the base gasket just where the anti-freeze spill,or just to install a plain new gasket.The cylinder bolt was torqued at 22 lbs before i remove cylinder.

Thank you!!

Z36qc :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
First of all, are you 100% sure the leak was in the base gasket? The proper way to test is with a special cap for the coolant bottle with a hole drilled in it and a barbed fitting installed, Then add 15 psi air pressure.. If it is the base gasket I don't believe you should use anything on the new one. I can check my service manual when I get home for you. The 515 is used where there is "NO" gasket. I have always used a small amount off 2 stroke oil on base gaskets and have never had one fail. The only time I have ever had a base gasket fail was on my 550 Kawasaki Intercepter after following the service manual's instructions to use some silicone on it..
The most prone place for a coolant leak on the 809 is usually on the o-ring at the bottom of the tube between the waterpump and the head. Also as is the case with my new 2002 motor that bomby supplied Free for my 01 Mach Tech Plus, there is a leak in the waterpump cover. This requires the 515 loctite gasket eleminator that you mention and also some Primer N. (expensive stuff!)
Evel

·
Registered
756 Posts
Do not use anything on the base gasket. Make sure both surfaces are clean & dry then install cylinders. Use 515 on the case halves, & water pump cover.

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Evel@Oct 9 2002, 09:10 AM
The 515 is used where there is "NO" gasket.
Good stuff, we sell the hell out of this in the semi truck parts market.

·
Registered
44 Posts
z36qc
I would have to agree w/MXZ900 nothing but a good gasket w/clean surfaces. Also make sure there are no gouches on the surfaces.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Ski-Doo men!

thank you for your help!! My dealer use 515 on base gasket prone to spill,like formula III 700 engine!You can use it but it will be hard to clean if you have your base gasket to replace!!

Thank you very much!!Take care!

Z36Qc ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Its very important that the surfaces be cleaned and degreased before assembly, if you want to use a gasket sealer try Yamaha bond #4.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Put in the Crank Shop .059" base gasket and mill the head. I did this to a 97 Mach 1 700 that had the same problem. The base gasket kept pushing out. The Crank Shop gasket fixed the problem. The guy never had problems after that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts