Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first sled w/power valves, now have about 850 miles.  Can't get much more than 70 mph when accelerating from cruising speed...but from dead stop it will go past 100 like it should.  Plugs don't make a difference.  Is this the power valves??  Or the fuel/air screws in carb?  Have also noticed oil spitting out of left head/pipe joint.   HELLLLPPPPPP!!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Oil spitting out of the joints is normal on all sleds.  To fix this either tighten the bolts that hold the exhaust or if its a joint use RTV heat silicon (the orange one)  And make a beed around the joint.  

As for the power valves.  I dont think that after 800 it would be jammed.  Unless the sled was running way to much oil and jetted very rich.  But it could be so you never know.  But in all my years of sledding with exhaust valves i never had one stuck so i dont know what it feels like.  But i dought that thats the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jim Fritch your valves may be sticking. My brother works at a Cat dealer and he says that after the first or every 500 miles you are supposed to get the valves cleaned if you are using regular APV injection oil. Not the new synthetic, which would make the valves only need to be cleaned every 1000 miles. I think cat maid the new sythetic because the regular oil would make a residue on the valves making them stick. I hope this helps you out.  

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sorry to here about your accel. problems,, although i do not have as many miles on my zl 800, it is efi also, its forte' is from 60 or 70 up to 112 113 or so, I would make sure you have not broken a clutch spring (either) also,,,  good luck,,  

·
Registered
59 Posts
It sounds like your valves are sticking, when they stick the cables come off the servo motor, so u better check them. No matter what oil you use you should clean them at least 500 miles.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, but I forgot to mention that I just installed D&D pipes w/out tuning the clutch yet...so my dealer assured me that once I make the necessary changes, that bogging will go away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts