8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post your reports for OFSC District 14 here. Check this map:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see on the 2008 TATA map that the L136 trail from C106A to A107C (west of Matach' to Gowganda has been closed.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Logging?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know. We rode thru that way on our way to Auld Reekie about 3 years ago. It was OK for us, but I think it was difficult to groom. Maybe trail rationalisation?

·
Registered
329 Posts
hello all

groomer is out. no drag yet but they are filling the holes and packing the trails. i also heard that smoothrock groomer was out.

jr

·
Registered
14 Posts
lots of snow after the last storm, sitting at about 2.5 feet conservatively - some places more some a little bit less. some lakes have as much as 6 inch's of ice on them. Trails will open soon enough. remember in early season riding know before you go!

·
Registered
441 Posts
hello all

groomer is out. no drag yet but they are filling the holes and packing the trails. i also heard that smoothrock groomer was out.

jr[/b]

lots of snow after the last storm, sitting at about 2.5 feet conservatively - some places more some a little bit less. some lakes have as much as 6 inch's of ice on them. Trails will open soon enough. remember in early season riding know before you go![/b]

You guys are killin me without some pics. :bash:
Here is a pic from Cochrane on Dec, 5th.
Come on guys up-date it for me will ya.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
You guys are killin me without some pics. :bash:
Here is a pic from Cochrane on Dec, 5th.
Come on guys up-date it for me will ya.[/b]
Here are some pictures from Dec 8th in Timmins

Murphy Road Trail

still some slush on area lakes.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We rode thru TATA on Thursday, Friday & Saturday. The C & A107C were in great shape. TOP A from Earlton down to the Wabi was a bit rough. The Wabi from the L188 jct all the way to the lake was in good shape (before the weather on Sunday).

These sections of road running aren't mentioned on the TATA website:

The plowed section of TOP C between SRF & the A106C jct. No problems on Thursday, lots of snow.

TOP C - The Grassy Lake Rd. is plowed (but doesn't appeared to be driven on) for 13 miles north of Hwy. 560. Lots of snow for the sleds.

TOP C - When we came south from the Shining Tree area we hit plowed road about half a mile west of the A107C trail jct. TOP C was plowed south & A107C was plowed east for about 4 miles towards the power line. Snow cover was OK.

A107C - West of Gowganda (Wapus Creek area) & south of Hwy. 560 there was a guy dicking around w/ a backhoe/loader plowing the road for about 2 & a half miles to a gravel pit w/ a Grant sign. Snow covered.

A107C - Between Gowganda & Elk Lake, south of Hwy. 560 (just west of Long Point Lodge) you run a forest access road for about 15 miles. The road is snow covered, but you can feel the carbides hitting gravel. We hugged the snow bank the best we could.

Finally be aware of some small water crossings between Tata-Chika-Pika & Gowganda on the C & A107C, nothing terrible to cross, but could cause damage if you hit them @ high speed.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw on MCTV tonight that the northeast got quite a bit of snow & more is expected tonight. Looks like we should've stayed for another week :wink: . We figure it was the best trip we've had up there.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
ya i saw they were calling for snow. i've been watching the weather up there. be in cochrane the 5th. have you rode or talked with anyone about the local trail from I.F. to 105q ?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We did speak w/ some folks that had run it. The trail was groomed & they didn't have to run the road like we did last winter.

Very quiet the day we rode back to Ontario from Amos. From La Sarre to Cochrane we only met 2 sleds, somewhere between La Reine & Low Bush River. Gives you a strange feeling to go all that distance out in the middle of nowhere & see very little in the way of people.

That railbed was built by the National Transcontinental Railway.

From Wikipedia:
The GTPR/NTR deal came in the heady final days of Canada's railway boom and would soon prove to be the financial straw that broke the back of Canada's railway industry during the First World War. The GTPR/NTR system was surveyed and construction began in 1905 and the entire system was finished (except for the Quebec Bridge) in 1913. The task was monumental and no expense was spared in building a railway system of minimal grades and curvature. In crossing the Appalachian Mountains of eastern Quebec and northern New Brunswick, the NTR used massive bridges to span wide valleys. The Quebec Bridge over the St. Lawrence River - the largest cantilever span in the world - took $40 million of the $170 million total project cost alone. The territory across northern Quebec and Ontario to Winnipeg, through the heart of the Canadian Shield, posed an extremely difficult construction obstacle (the reason why the Canadian Pacific Railway avoided the region, yet in the end, the system was one of the best-constructed railways in the world.[/b]

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
L61 Update

From tunedbyear:

Just got back from Cochrane. We did find and ran the L61 trail from the A105Q to Iroquois Falls. Go east of Cochrane & as soon as you go through the camp grounds on the trail,cross the road aprox. 1000 ft. to the right is the trail. No sign except a stop sign facing towards IF as soon as you turn there was a IF sign saying 44k.

Trail wasn't groomed at first,but was not bad. Had to run the road a ways. Then we found the trail again and it was groomed. Around 9 miles from IF there was a washout on the groomed trail. 6ft. wide 5ft deep with 2ft of water running. Sides are straight up and down. Very hard to see coming upon it. We almost went in, but lucky we were taking it easy.

Ran into the OPP in IF and they went to mark it. So if anyone runs this be careful. It's a nice ride because it connects the A105Q and the A trail for a 100 mi. loop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts