8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post your reports for OFSC District 2 here. Check this map:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too bad E107 is closed :( according to the Paudash website. Mind you it looks like the creek will be ridable before Christmas & ready for when the trail IS open.

The parents checked the ice on the creek south of the Pheasant w/ a spud today & they think it's OK. It was down to -17*C @ 7 PM tonight & there was no snow on the ice, so that will help. I'll look things over on Saturday & will let you know then.

11" on the ground tonight in Apsley, probably more to the north.

Last Saturday we sledded (broke trail) on the "West Road" past the Laforna Hunt Club almost to the E108. Didn't want to run thru some open water (plus there's a lot of rock under the snow on that trail) so we turned around. I couldn't tell if anyone had ridden from the Pencil Lake area.

Finally, has anyone ridden TOP E (the railbed) out of Coe Hill? If there's no water holes, I may unload @ the township yard in Coe Hill rather than drive over to the MTO yard on Hwy. 62.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think Chrissy and I are going to venture up that way this weekend Kris...... let me know how it is when you go.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paudash Reports:

We checked the ice & it was good, so we rode from Apsley. Didn't bother to head to the railbed. E107, TOP E & 618 (Silent L. Trl) have been groomed. 622 is open but not groomed yet. No sign of sleds on 617 (Saunders Trl). I saw that E108 has been groomed west of TOP E.

The 1st mile of 618 south of Hwy 28 is plowed, but snow-covered due to logging.

I rode 619 (Chandos L. Trl) as far as Clydesdale Rd. It's not groomed & only the gate on the north side of the road is open.

Trails 609 & 610 are not open yet.

Today after riding the trails on our woodlot w/ the nephew, I rode E107 up from Jack's Lake. It is passable, but not groomed. Be aware of a couple of detours due to trees across the trail.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I unloaded @ Coe Hill & ran the tracks up to LSP. Trail in great shape south of Bancroft.

People have tried to run the bush trail below Jan's Woodlands to get to the Shell & ESSO stations. Trail stops about halfway. Someone had walked further west to check the trail.

I caught up to the southbound groomer below the L'Amable turnoff. Trail really didn't need grooming. Also the railbed west of Ormsby Jct has been groomed as well. Not sure how far west he went.

The gate to OHSR-950 (trail to Limerick L.) is closed. OHSR-931 is open & sleds are running it east of Glen Alda.

A Paudash note, sleds have crossed Hwy. 620 on PTB-619.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stoney Lake Sno Riders report:

I rode from Apsley down to Reid's Store & back today. E107 has been groomed (before the storm) and all the obstacles north of Jack's Lake removed.

It didn't look like anyone has ridden 704 (the Viamede Trail) west of E107. 702 is open from E107 to Reids. There is a shallow water crossing, but nothing terrible.

Trail 707 to Kasshabog Lake has been groomed, but there were no fresh tracks & since I'm not familiar w/ it I didn't ride it.

On the way back I went up 708 as far as the bottom of the McCoy Bay Rd. Groomed as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Top half of Twin Mountain's trails were nice and groomed this weekend...

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paudash Report:

We did a 70 mile loop out of Apsley today. E107 (north of McQuigge (609) trail) & TOP E (south of clubhouse) had been groomed. The 619 to Chandos had been groomed. The Silent Lake & Cardiff trail south of E110 were groomed & in good shape.

Now for the bad news IMO, I'd avoid E110 west of Cardiff. Freymond Lumber of Bancroft is logging in the Thunderbird Rd area & the trail was a mess. Rather than cut on either side of the trail & minimize crossing the trail (like the logger did along TOP E north of Hwy. 28 a few years back, they're using the trail as a skid road. You could see 2' deep ruts from the skidder. After the mild weather that's forecast this week this stretch will be brutal. There were a lot of marked trees west of where they are currently logging so I think they'll be there for a while.

It should've been groomed Friday night after the logging was done for the week. E110 didn't improve until we got to the Saunders Trail (#617).

Last weekend the parking lot @ the Pheasant was jammed & the access for sleds was partially blocked. If are looking for a place to park, there is space for about 4 trucks (trailer parking not advised) @ the end of Tucker Road. It's about 5 mins north of Apsley. I've also seen trucks & trailers parked by the fire hall on 28 @ the top of the Silent Lake Trail.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has anyone ridden the railbed from Eldorado up to LSP?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On Saturday we rode the railbed (B106E) from Ormsby Jct. to a couple of miles north of the Hwy 127 crossing past Lake St. Peter. The trail was in decent shape, even thru Bancroft. There were a couple of wind swept place north of Maynooth & south of Detlor where the snow was sort of thin & you could hear the gravel.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wondering if anyone was on Chandos last weekend? We were on West Bay before the thaw & the ice looked OK. If I hear about good conditions I might do a loop out of Apsley running from West to Gilmour Bay on the weekend.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Any first hand reports on the conditions in and around Bancroft that you can update us on.

Planning on going up on the First of February.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Paudash Report:

Why is it that some snowmobilers have no clue whatsoever? Friday night after I unloaded the sled I went for a short run up the E107 north of Apsley. Trail was in good shape.

Saturday around noon we head out. Parking lot is full @ the Pheasant. We get on the E107 & haven't gone a hundred feet & I see where some "top goon" has spun his track down to the leaves & grass :cussing: :bash: . There's only about 4" of base folks. All along the E107 to the Burleigh Trail the corners were worn down & the knolls skinned off.

The E trail from the Chandos turn to Harcourt was like a MX track as the outside of the corners were "bermed up" & about 2 feet higher than the inside. Lots of loose snow to slide in on top of the berm if you want to stay on your side of the trail :sarcasm:

About the best riding was the 1st couple of miles of the McQuigge Trail & the South Eels Lake Trail. The rest of the day sucked.

If the weather stays the same this week & w/ the BBQ @ the Clubhouse on Saturday, I can't see the trails being any better. I'll be heading in another direction.

·
Registered
107 Posts
How have the trails of District 2 and 6 held up with the warm up then cold snap. Looking for this weekend, what do you think?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tuesday night it was raining in Apsley.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tuesday night it was raining in Apsley.[/b]
I know, then it froze and not much new snow. Have you ridden up and around Bancroft and north towards Whitney since then. The club reports are kinda vague. Are they dragging rock is my main concern and lube for the sliders.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I won't be up there until Saturday. Hopefully this storm brings a decent amount of the white stuff.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts