Snowmobile World banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
On Monday I rode from Kaladar up to McArthurs Millsf, across to Bancroft, down to Marmora, and back across to Kaladar. Overall it was a great ride... and in most spots the trails had been freshly groomed... with the exception of E101 from Kaladar to Flinton Rd....BRUTAL... and yes, I know it says it's closed on the OFSC website.

With this storm coming in tomorrow morning... I would think it's going to be a busy weekend out there......unless the groomers get out late Friday night though, the trails are going to get rough in a hurry.

·
Registered
107 Posts
On Monday I rode from Kaladar up to McArthurs Millsf, across to Bancroft, down to Marmora, and back across to Kaladar. Overall it was a great ride... and in most spots the trails had been freshly groomed... with the exception of E101 from Kaladar to Flinton Rd....BRUTAL... and yes, I know it says it's closed on the OFSC website.

With this storm coming in tomorrow morning... I would think it's going to be a busy weekend out there......unless the groomers get out late Friday night though, the trails are going to get rough in a hurry.[/b]
Those groomer operators are like sledders, they cant wait to get out on the trails either.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hopefully the warm temps are short lived. I did most of my riding south of Apsley this weekend on the Stoney Lake & Havelock trails. Pretty good condition for the most part.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Same runs we've being doing lately. Two weeks ago, went from Stoney to E107, Lasswade, Apsely, then back home. Took the Havelock run last Friday only to get pulled over in an OPP spotcheck on Stoney Lake before we even got to the trails. All could have been better if one of the threesome actually took his ownership and insurance with him.
Anyway, the trail seemed to end after about an hour, just as you exit the "unassumed road".

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Anyway, the trail seemed to end after about an hour, just as you exit the "unassumed road".
Which trail do you mean? I ran E107 up from Havelock last weekend (no problems) besides a lot of the other trails around Kasshabog.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We crossed Gilchrist bay, at the 4/69 split, we took the 69 south, which eventually took us through a beautifull forested "unassumed" road and when we came out it seemed to just end. We never even made to to the railroad crossing (South Dummer?) which should be just outside of Norwood according to the Rice Lake Snowdrifters web site.
Unless I got totally screwed up and lost . . .:blush:

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I was on 69 after leaving the Havelock trail NW of town. I made it around to the west side of Norwood where 69 crosses Hwy 7. Yes the trail markings are a bit sketchy IMO.

BTW, 4, 7 & 69, does anyone know how they came up w/ their trail numbers?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I tried to run HDSC 805 east from E107 last Saturday. However when I got to Cordova Lake there was no stake line & no distinct "trail" on the lake (plus it was getting later in the day). I'll try to run it west from E106 (the railbed). W/ my GPS I shouldn't get too lost. Is anyone familiar w/ this trail?

BTW, Cordova Lake Store has gas if you're in the area & need it.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I did a loop south to Marmora today. There's a couple of spots to watch for.

On TOP E west of Hwy. 62 there is a water hole that you have to deke around.

On E106 between HDSC-805 & Hwy. 7 there's another was hole.

Both spots are marked w/ yellow caution tape.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Did 159 miles on the Old Hastings & Mazinaw trails today. TOP E from the airstrip was good until I hit the plowed section about a mile west of MP-1004. The road is plowed all the way to Hwy 41. Lots of frozen dirt. W/ the way the weather is getting it'll be mud soon.

E101 south of TOP E to Mazinaw L. was good as was MP-1002 & TOP E east of Hwy 41. MP-1007, MP-1003 & MP-1008 were in good shape too.

E101 north of TOP E has 2 plowed sections. 1 from TOP E north to MP-1004 (Effingham Lake Rd.) There is also logging south of Ashby Lake Rd. North of Scott's Store the trail was good.

MP-1006 hasn't been groomed since the most recent snowfall (Thursday). Plowed road & muddy between Spring L. & McArthur Mills. This stretch was probably the worst of the plowed sections.

OHSR-930 between 920 & 938 is signed as temporarily closed. There were fresh tracks, so I ran it. There's a diamond drilling outfit doing some drilling near Bessemer & they've got the trail/road down to dirt for a short distance. The road is plowed but @ least snow covered to the road crossing west of there.

Gas was $1.26 @ Moosehorn (didn't buy any). Pump had 2 nozzles labelled unleaded & premium. Both had the same price.

Gas was $1.10 @ the McEwen in Denbigh.

On Denbigh Lake there's a stake line that heads over to the NW corner of the lake. Does this trail head north to Griffith? In the past I remember using this trail when we came from McArthur Mills. Today I saw some bush trails that headed north from MP-1006 & MP-1008, but nothing that looked heavily travelled.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ran up to the Paudash clubhouse today & it was a mixed bag. E107 was OK from Apsley to the 610. The 610 was good. We ran TOP E up to the south Eel's Lake trail. E was choppy. The trail over to the lake was fine. E north to E108 was choppy. E108 over to 609 (The McQuigge or Rathburn trail) was rough.

The north half of 609 was choppy, but the south half was OK.

I would have to say the trails weren't as good today as what I was riding yesterday late in the day over on the Old Hastings trails. It'll be interesting to see if they can get trails fixed up for the Easter weekend.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Saturday & Sunday, we ran Young's Point to Reid's, up the 107, to the Viamede split, down to Viamede and back to Young's Point.
Saturday was defintiely better than Sunday but the trails were still suprisinlgy really good! Except for right behind Viamede where you're into several hundred feet of muddy road (not a flake of snow or ice). We did try some off trail adventures through the tower lines and man did we get buried! Short tracks suck.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
We did a 65 mile loop south out of Apsley today. Down towards Nephton, east to the Havelock turnoff, then up to & across Chandos.

E107, Stoney Lake #706 & Paudash #619 were all in good shape.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I hate to say it but Paudash has been the roughest trails in this area this year .Don't get it they were always the best Do we have new management?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Frank, the last 2 weekends were OK, but earlier they were rough halfway thru Saturday. Apparently 1 stretch there they had 2 groomers down & were stretched kind of thin. Last Sunday the trails were in great shape.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
We ride mostly through the week and from mon -thur the trails have been brutal over there, weekends not bad the couple of times we rode on weekends.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts