Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where i live the only places i can go are through neighborhoods / ditches along roads... Is this legal? Ive seen a couple cops before, looking at me like they wanna get me, but dont want to waste time knowing ill just BOLT lol (not really)

anyways, how close to the roads are you allowd to ride ? are you allowed to cross main streets? allowed to ride ditches without worrying about police? Do you have to have permits/numbers/registeration?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't know what the laws are, and it might even depend on where you're from. For the most part I think it probably depends on your local police, however if you're not actually on anyone's property or the street I don't think anything can hold even if they somehow managed to get ya. ;)

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I really depends alot on the location. Stop by city hall ask them one day what the rules are for ATV's and snowmobiles on roads etc... They SHOULD be able to tell you...

I know in Niagara Falls, Ontario you are not allowed to ride on the roads in town...

But most smaller cities have NOT outlawed it...

You always have to have ownership/plates/registration....

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
in Indiana you have to have an Indiana registration if you are a Indiana citizen. I am not legal to ride here. I have a michigan registration. one time you do not need the registration is if you are riding on your property or property that you are in charge of, not family or freinds but yours. now my grandfathers property was in my control during the winter and that is legal. here is what you need to know http://www.ai.org/legislative/ic/code/title14/ar16/ch1.html

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
road rules IC 14-16-1-20
Operation on highways and roads
Sec. 20. (a) An individual may not operate a vehicle required to be registered under this chapter upon a public highway, street, or rights-of-way thereof or on a public or private parking lot not specifically designated for the use of vehicles, except under the following conditions:
(1) A vehicle may be operated on the public right-of-way adjacent to the traveled part of the public highway, except a limited access highway, if there is sufficient width to operate at a reasonable distance off and away from the traveled part and in a manner so as not to endanger life or property.
(2) The operator of a vehicle may cross a public highway, other than a limited access highway, at right angles for the purpose of getting from one (1) area to another when the operation can be done in safety. The operator shall bring the vehicle to a complete stop before proceeding across a public highway and shall yield the right-of-way to all traffic.
(3) Notwithstanding this section, a vehicle may be operated on a highway in a county road system outside the corporate limits of a city or town if the highway is designated for this purpose by the county highway department having jurisdiction.
(4) A law enforcement officer of a city, town, or county or the state may authorize use of a vehicle on the public highways, streets, and rights-of-way within the officer's jurisdiction during emergencies when conventional motor vehicles cannot be used for transportation due to snow or other extreme highway conditions.
(5) A vehicle may be operated on a street or highway for a

special event of limited duration conducted according to a prearranged schedule only under permit from the governmental unit having jurisdiction. The event may be conducted on the frozen surface of public waters only under permit from the department.
(b) An individual less than fourteen (14) years of age may not operate a vehicle without immediate supervision of an individual at least eighteen (18) years of age, except on land owned or under the control of the individual or the individual's parent or legal guardian.
© An individual may not operate a vehicle on a public highway without a valid motor vehicle driver's license.
(d) A vehicle may not be used to hunt, pursue, worry, or kill a wild bird or a domestic or wild animal.
As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.9.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Dooman has it from the book. If you are registered you can ride along the road edge and cross the road. Some counties have ordinances that allow you to ride during snow emergencies. You can check the county you live in to see if they allow it. Ive logged a lot of miles in IN around Muncie. We go into town to get gas and then leave and have never had a problem. We've been checked out a few times and as long as our registrations are up to date they don't bother us. Just don't do nothing stupid entering and leaving gas stations and keep to the large fields and you should be OK.

·
Registered
357 Posts
By the way, the legal right of way is within 20 feet of the edge of the road (usually the white line painted on the right side of the road). As long as you're not speeding you should have no problem "ditch banging." Just get your sled registered. Indiana's snowmobile fund is shrinking every year due to lack of registrations.

You also have a state trail just Southwest of the Fort.

Tony.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts