Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started wenching on my sled this weekend, and was wondering about tearing into the reed valves and cleaning them.

I've never bothered before, but a buddy swears he gets better performance by cleaning his every year.

Just looking for opinions. From what I can see with a flashlight and mirror, they look fine, but do they get dirty enought that they need cleaning?

Thanks,

FishHog

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do you mean RAVE valves or reed valves. Either way the sould both be checked. Your RAVE valves should be taken apart and cleaned twice a year. Once at the begining of the season, then in the middle of the season. This will ensure that they are always clean and working properly.

Your reed valves should be checked once a year, at the begining of the season. Look for cracks near the tips and near the base of the pedals and check if they are properly sealing with the cages. If they need replacing, try Carbon Tech reeds. I have over 6000km with mine and still absolutly perfect. :D

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Fishhog there is instructions on this site on how to doo it should give them a cleaning before you start running the Amsoil :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think each sled is different and your friend's sled may get sticky valves that need cleaning every year.

I prefer to remove the outer housing or cover of the valves and pull them in and out by hand. If there is no catching or they don't stick, then I leave them alone.

If they stick or catch at all, then I pull them and give them a cleaning. I have enough things to do, I don't need to do something that is not necessary at the time.

Besides this is easy enough to do in the middle of winter if and when they do start sticking.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips guys, but I'm not talking Rave Valves. I clean them regularily. I'm talking the reed valves.

I have the carbs off right now, and wondered if I should go deeper and clean the reed valves. Or do they need cleaning. I can see them from the carb side, and they look fine, but do they get dirty on the crankcase side, and need cleaning, or should I just leave them alone?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Just have a quick look to ensure none of the petals are tearing
away as i know some of the 800 twins had this issue.If they are in
good shape(ie no tears etc)just leave them alone :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Also check to see if the rubber on the valve is not coming off as this was also a problem on the 800 twin.If it is you may be able to get them replaced n/c by a dealer under warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts