Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my communicators for several years, but never bothered piping any music in. Played around with it last night and the ipod sounds pretty good in the helmet. Do any of you find it distracting to have the tunes playing? Do they take your attention away from the trails without realizing it right away? I figure I'll try it for a day or two and see how it goes. Also wired my sled with a COMMUNICATOR POWER. This will negate me having to use the battery packs, and just use the power from my sled to power the communicator. Can't wait to see if it actually works.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys are echoing my beliefs, especially you Keith. The reason I started looking into this is because I was supposed to go on a 4-nite backpack Canada trip, where it can be an hour or two of wide smooth trails at a time...was thinking it would be nice to have a little bob seger playing while cruising the wide trails. Just can't see how one could concentrate on the twisties in MI and WI with music jamming though.

·
10,054 Posts
I would get the wrong song playing and realize I was running WAY too fast as I would be paying attention to the music and not the conditions around me,,,

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think riding totally depends on my mood, it could be very...

A) I'm pumped! IT's Saturday and I'm ripping up and down a bunch of old banks around a dis-used quarry, deep snow, no one around just letting go.. bit of Metallica S+M will do nicely! Can only take braap braaap for so long!

or it could be totally...

B) A long smooth trail, nice and fast - just enjoying the noise of the sled purring along and then when I'm way out in nowhere - just stop. Sled's motor ticking when it cools and then <nothing> totally silent and no need for music!

...make sense to anybody else?? :blush:

·
Registered
162 Posts
No desire to listen to music when sledding. Not only like to be able to hear if something goes wrong with the machine, but I enjoy it's sounds when performing as it's supposed to, as well.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'LL TELL YA WHAT-I JUST CAME BACK FROM A 4 DAY STAY AT THE RAINBOW LODGE (30 MILES FROM NEWBERRY) AND I RAN HELMET SPEAKERS FOR 4 DAYS OF RUNNING.
IT WAS A WAY COOL EXPERIENCE THAT I NEED TO TWEEK A BIT.
I PUT IN PERMINENT HELMET SPEAKERS AND RAN THEM WITH AN MP3-AND-AN IPOD.
THE PROBLEM WAS THAT I DIDN'T RECORD IT WITH ENOUGH VOLUME.
I COULD STILL HEAR IT AT 20 MPH OR LESS BUT AFTER THAT==NOT GOOD.
WHO WOULD NOT WANT TO HEAR-BORN TO RUN-OR-RIDING THE STORM OUT- WHEN YOUR FINGER IS ON THE TRIGGER??????

BTW-TRAIL #8 ROCKS.
PARADISE IS A MISNOMER.
GRAND MARIAS IS JUST THAT.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I ran with an Ipod a couple of years ago up in Cochrane it was pretty good. My
problem was it was my sons and some of the music sucked, but when AC/DC or
Zepplen came on I really got into the ride. I positioned the pause button under my chin
so I could pause it at will.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I thought of listening to music while I ride but I know what is going to happen when & good tune comes on. You know the one that you really like that gets you pumped up even on a bad day w00t w00t w00t Here we go, that no fear feeling is coming :thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've been riding with my MP3 player for a couple of seasons now and think it's great.
So yes, maybe you squeeze the trigger a bit more with some tunes but I slow down listening to others.

If you use the 'Genre' mode you can decide what type of tunes you want for the type of riding your dooin.
I have a weeks worth of music from Rob Zombi to Pink Floyd to Stompin Tom and have it on all day.
I can still hear the sled/motor even with sound dampening ear bugs in. obviously I can't hear the sled as good as without the tunes but I feel how my sleds running as much as listen to it and after about 6500RPM the sled is louder that the tunes.
IMO, jammin to a great tune helps me get in rythum with my sled down a twisty trail or boondockin down a hydro corridor.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
My question for all the people that say listening to music will make you squeeze the throttle too much is, are you afraid to listen to music while driving in your car as well?

If i'm in the mood to ride hard, no music is going to make me ride harder.

I've never tried it while riding the sled, but I used to listen to cd's while operating a brush saw and just loved it. I could still hear the saw, but it was a background noise rather then the only noise.

As for the theory of being able to hear if something is wrong with your sled, What do you do about wind noise? Beyond a certain mph I can't hear my sled anyway.

If I was doing a long trip I think I'd give the Ipod a try.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My question for all the people that say listening to music will make you squeeze the throttle too much is, are you afraid to listen to music while driving in your car as well?

If i'm in the mood to ride hard, no music is going to make me ride harder.

I've never tried it while riding the sled, but I used to listen to cd's while operating a brush saw and just loved it. I could still hear the saw, but it was a background noise rather then the only noise.

As for the theory of being able to hear if something is wrong with your sled, What do you do about wind noise? Beyond a certain mph I can't hear my sled anyway.

If I was doing a long trip I think I'd give the Ipod a try.

I hear what your saying, but my truck doesn't do 0-60mph in 4 seconds! lol!
I guess it would depend on where I was riding,wide open Cochrane trails no problem trying some music, tight, hilly lots of traffic, I want to hear everything as clearly as possible, I find it harder to concentrate with noise really close to my ears (actually in my ears )with headphones, never liked the feeling.
This coming from me is strange believe me, music is actually a hobby for me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The sound of a 900 King ripping it up is music to my ears so yup I like it!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dude.............

I'm 38 years old and don't own an Ipod or any player for that matter!!! I can think of a million reasons why not to overpay for music and spend $200 on a glorified cd player with headphones!

I am a huge music buff. Classical and very hard rock mainly. The louder the better however,
my point is that when snowmobiling your out there to enjoy the scenery,trails,wildlife etc.
Adding music only distracts from the experiance and the task at hand.

Piping in music straight to your brain takes away from your ability to concentrate on your surroundings and yes, it's proven that a stimulating influence will make you operate your equipment differently than normal whether it's cars or sleds.
Look at cell phones for instance-

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Taxicat time to leave the sled at home and take the snowshoes
you confuse me I see no association between the music and wildlife or the senery for that matter.
As for hearing something wrong with your sled I am with Fraz you generally feel something is wrong long before you hear it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts