Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the areas you ride,

1- Is there a speed limit?

2- Do you normally ride within the limit?

3- Do you agee with a limit being set or should it be left up to the rider?

4- Is the limit in your area set at a reasonable speed (high or low)?

5- Has it improved trail safety?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
the speed limit here is 70 km/h

If we are ridding in the day we never realy go above 80 km/h but once in a while in a long streach with no one in sight we will give the throttle a twist !

At nigh on the other hand we tend to go a bit faster as we can see other sleds far away ! So we drive around 100 km/h .

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
1: Yes it's 50 kph :sleeping: :angry: :devil:

2: No :sly: !!! If I wanted to go 30 mph. I'd go back to my Citation 3500 & ride bush trails. Even my mother who is 68 says the speed limits are stupid. especially when riding railines when the visibilty is good.

3: yes

4: No it should be higher. Especially in northern Ontario :D :sly:

5: n/a

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Unknown

The area that I like to ride is Yellowstone. The limits for sleds are the same as for cars in the summer, except for the road/trail between West Yellowstone and Old Faithful, which is 35mph for sleds due to the heavy traffic on this section. Limits are necessary due to the extreme variance in rider experience, as well as traffic. There have been a few instances last winter where I actually went slower than the limit due to trail conditions deteriorating from the heavy traffic. Since road rules apply there and are enforced by the rangers, I'm not aware of any accidents caused by excessive speed.

Unfortunately, what I did see was plenty of places where people were sidehilling on some of the small hills along the trail. :angry: We don't need more fuel for the "ban everything because they hate it" crowds.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
1 yes
2 no

Last season the OPP who pulled over our group for speeding near earlton.
He jumped out of the trees and got almost everyone. Lucky i was off trail in the powder dooin like 70-80. The officer said that he will not ticket you if you are dooin 100kmh or less. I though he was being very reasonable other than the sneaky trap he was in. There was no escape barbwire on one side and a dense forest on the other.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I noticed the radar signs north of Earlton last winter too. I was more concerned about the Cochrane area. I had heard on another website that the OPP was busy up there. Permafrost & the rest of the gang from up there, were the OPP targetting sledders?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
no speed limit and hardly any Officers, its good that way at least you dont have to worry about getting busted while ripping down a straight away.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Maine has a few new laws this year, such as no waterx. watercross is now illegal, I dont know if that is for all states or just Maine. But they were talking about a speed limit as well. If there is one Im not going to obey it, how are they gonna enforce it?? If they have wardens out there, them and their skandics will never keep upto us and our performance sleds.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Speed limits :hallo3: You've got to be kidding! :doh:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I just read in a magizine that i believe in Canada the opp liked there Yamaha 4stroke watercraft so much that they ordered a bunch of rx-1's> i could be wrong as it might have been Seadoo's and then v1000's but I'm pretty sure it was the yams. Said that hey lasted longer then other crafts(water0,less maitnance,much better fuel usage,etc. I've seen some fast DNR sleds and local cops riding fast sleds also.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
1. Yes, just on trails in town.
2. W/in the city limits, you bet!
3. I think they are appropriate in town, not beyond that though.
4. Reasonable in town.
5. Don't know if it has contributed to fewer accidents or not.

Would hate to see limits all over...then I would have to be disobedient :hallo5:

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I agree Jim, our moto is "slow down in town" Revrnd I read the reports all over the internet last year regarding Cochrane OPP using gestapo tactics. Ticketing people for loose helmet straps and other trivial things. We experienced none of this on any of our rides there. The one time we came accross the opp on fan cooled 96 or 97 formula 500's. Ladyk and redrocket had passed them dooing over 100mph, first time we let the lady lead. The cops didnt even attempt to catch them or radio anyone. We were in the powder dooin like 50 or 60kmh way behind, lol. Crazy B made the foolish mistake of asking one of the officers if he had seen a red sled :0: The cop said why, "Are those your friends" We ended up shootin the bull with those guys for a 1/2 hour. Stuguy didnt even have a license on his sled, NP. The nicest cops I have ever met hands down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
fyi, a ticket on a sled in minnesota goes on your driving record. i don't know about other states. i think that is such bs. i got busted in the middle of a field- ten or so over- dont remember. one group of small trees the cop was hiding in.. and wham a speeding ticket. middle of a field, daylight, no one else around, how lame. i would of had to jump in front of my sled to get hurt at that 'excessive speed'.

but then again i'm glad he didn't catch me about 5 minutes before, that would of been one hell of a ticket.

bug

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Originally posted by ZR Sled Head@Oct 19 2002, 09:00 AM
In the areas you ride,

1- Is there a speed limit?

2- Do you normally ride within the limit?

3- Do you agee with a limit being set or should it be left up to the rider?

4- Is the limit in your area set at a reasonable speed (high or low)?

5- Has it improved trail safety?
1 yes
2 no, except for in town, probably slower.
3 no
4 no
5no

FishHog

·
Registered
113 Posts
Most places we ride in NY have limits. Good or bad they are ineffective. There is one location that I know of where they set up radar traps. Aside from that there is really no other law enforcement on speed. You can put up all the signs and limitations but people will ignore it. Unfortunately the real problem is rider ability or lack thereof. Often times people buy big power sleds without having the experience or abilities. The other MAJOR rpoblem is DRINKING and riding. Alcohol with kill you riding a 340 or 1000.

·
Registered
959 Posts
no speed limits on our trails although i dont go much over 55 at night due to the high amount of deer since i hit 2 last year i didnet ride at night for a while after that :nervous: :hallo8:

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Old Forge speed limit is 25mph if i am correct.... I think that is way too low... I dont ride like an idiot but i usually cruise around 40 sometimes i will kick it up to 60 on straights.... I think anything above that in the tough twists is insane..... theres nothing that ticks me off more then to come around a tight turn and almost get nailed by these idiots doing 75+ and not looking out for other riders. Night time in the forge is dangerous b/c thats when all the crazies are out... running through the trails like there invisible.. lakes are for pinning the throttle, and if you cant control your machine then you shouldnt be riding it.... the first guy that tags me on the trail riding like an idiot is going to get my shiny helmet up his ( ) ) :cussing:

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
1. yes there is a limit.
2. normally around here i do because the trails cannot hqndle great speed.
3. i sort of agree and think there has to be a bar set, if there becomes something that gets out of hand then there will be a reason for the S.T.O.P to pull sledders over and maybe find something that can cause further problems.
4. in my area i would say it is an okay speed limit.
5. speed kills but booze i think is the worst killer.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts