Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I do all my own work on my sleds from motor to clutch to suspension. From what I have seen most people bring their sleds in to get them worked on.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Riley, I could see how most people in general would use a shop.

I should have been more clear, I was referring to sw.com members and not most snowmobilers

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm in the automotive repair business so its a no brainer that my sleds repaired right here.
:D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I pretty much do all my own. Unless its something that is major that could be cover under warrenty. Like a Crank or something. I rebuild my own shocks. Go through the clutch etc. Its fun to do also. That way it makes it quicker to repair something on the trail too, if you already know how it comes apart.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I make my living in the winter repairing snowmobiles, so yes I do all my own repairs. Everything from complete engine rebuilds to, customs, shocks, dyno tuning(engine) might have to hire help sometime.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Like motorcycling, snowmobile repair/maintenance is part of the experience for me...

AL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I do pretty much all of my own work other than shock rebuilds and i'm thinking about getting the stuff to do that to. About the only thing I bring it in for was warrenty work when it was still covered. I grew up on a farm and we did all our own work so I just kinda grew up with it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I would want to think that most everybody works on their own sleds. Riders should. It may mean the difference between going home and continuing on with the rest. I do what I can, and what I can't, I'll play it with untill I figure out how I can. Believe me, there is ALOT of the latter at current. :(

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I'll be doing most of my own work. But even most of the things I'll have others do i could, but rather not take the chance on. I was a licenced mechanic so i can do most everything but it;s smart to know when to let otheres help. I usually help them do it if I have others do work. So I'm a in between guy also.
Caleb

A

·
0 Posts
I do my own, with the shop rates the way they are who can afford to have a dealer work on them unless you're stinking rich.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Too bad you live so far away MXZ900. I need a winter job! Anyone near East Lansing Michigan have a sled related job for me?
Ryan :inlove: Sleds :inlove:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I do what I can , but I'll be the first to admit I'm not the most mechanically inclined. Geez, I'm lucky I can work this computer :doh: If it is something I know I can do , I will, if not, I'll bring it in so it is done right.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I do as much as I can myslef with the tools I have. Mainly the only thing I take the sled in for is to get shocks recharged since I have neither the knowledge or tools to do that myself. :doh:

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Once in awhile a shop comes in hand. ONe time it was 10 degrees on old forge and it was 9am. All my buddys were getting ready to take off and i looked down and noticed my hyfax were shot so instead of screwing around with it and freezing my ( ) ) off... i just brought it over to east street and they swapped em out for like $25 plus the cost of the slides. I was ready and raring to go in 20 minutes. I happen to not mind paying it
heheheh

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I do most myslef, but it depends on how complex it is, and how much free time I have.

FishHog

·
Registered
392 Posts
I need to start learning how to work on my sled. I just brought it to the dealer for the pre-season $150 porking. I can do absolutely everything to my car, with the exception of an automatic trans rebuild (I'm planning to learn that soon on one of my spares), but I don't know the first darn thing about the sled. I know that it's not beyond my abilities, but I've got to learn what parts are what, how to diagnose my problems, and how to identify a solution. Unfortunately, I forsee a lot of expensive trial & error in my future. I guess my first step should be to buy an Artic Cat service manual.

Please watch language. Thanks!

Last edited by phazerhater at Oct 8 2002, 08:46 PM

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't know anyone that is really mecchanicaly inclined... Or even a little for that matter, so I havn't had anyone to teach me. I wish I could... I'm trying to learn as much as possible, but its alot different seeing it infront of you then talking through it on here....

So my answer is yes the shop does most of my work.... Plus at the moment I don't have much of a spot to work on it if I could anyways... SWRules

·
Registered
959 Posts
i do most of my stuff on my own but if it looks liek somehting will go over my head i take it to my dealer just a hop skip and a jump away so its pretty easy and he treats me fair

1 - 20 of 32 Posts