Snowmobile World banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I do all the work myslef. plus i do it for all of my friends and neighbors and ther friends, and ther friends,and ther friends,and ther friends,and ther friends, :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Sorta like Dan,I do all my own stuff and people are always asking me to look at their old cats to see what they need to get them running.
I draw the line at re-cleating track these days,too darn much knuckle busting.

Last edited by phazerhater at Oct 9 2002, 12:02 AM

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Glad to see that some people let the trained techs do the work if they don't know what they are doing but it's good to see people do some work themselves I think it makes for a better rider if you under stand basically how the machine works. Not trying to knock I know there are some good riders that don't know how to fix it, me, I just get out the wrenches when things aren't quite right

·
Registered
299 Posts
I do a little of everything, I work on it myself, and I turn to friends for help when it is beyond my skills or knowledge. I have some buds that know the insides of a sled better than anything, and they are a great resource. Having a basic knowledge of all the parts of your sled is indispensable when it is 10 below and something is broken. Somethimes you can cobble something together enough to get you home, but only if you know how your sled works. The only thing I don't do is take it to a dealer, because I don't think there is anything on the sled that I am afraid to get my fingers into, and I would rather save the money for aftermarket goodies :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
I try to do what I can myself, but like what was mentioned, warranty work goes to the shop.. A buddy of mine took his and his wifes sled to a dealer last year for a pre-season service, spent $300 and we had to take his wifes suspension apart on the first ride because they put his spring guides in upside down, he could have done that himself for free.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I do most work myself. Like some, a lot of it is for the first time. I take my time, make sure I have a good manual and the tools I need. It's mostly because I don't want to pay someone else to do it, but there is some satisfaction gained by doing something well. The sled that I have ridden for the last six years has EFI. I have never done engine work to it and might need some help if I did. I am getting a carbed sled this year for the first time in years and am a little rusty at tuning those things. Should be interesting. The most difficult thing I found about working on sleds is KEEPING WARM. :cussing:

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i have a shop that i work in right behind the house and it looks to me like most of us do our own sled repair.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I will do everything but major engine work,Rotax has never let me down yet(knocking on my puter desk) hehe. For some reason I do not enjoy working on the sleds. Since I have been wrenching for 15 years,it gets old.

·
Registered
516 Posts
There's no pride in having someone else work on your sled besides it's cheaper and you'll know every inch of your sled doing it yourself ;)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts