Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for some info on this machine that i just bought. can anyone help me?? i need to find some factory specs and some setup tricks to make it all that it can be. some performance info would be nice too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is a triple and it says it is a '92.

where can i verifiy the size of the motor....is it stamped somewhere where i can see it?? i have looked.

you guys with the 580 triples...was it stamped on your blocks or cases??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tag is on the case -
I have a 91 650 triple
The serial # can be traced through a dealer too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
yea,the xlt didn't come out until the 93 series,so it was prolly made in 92
before that they had the 650triple or the rxl which are totally differant motors.

edit:but there is no such thing as a xlt 500

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is the head cover purple? That would be an obvious 580 motor. Maybe it's just a 92 chassis with a 93 motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the dealer ran my vin# and he said it was a rare '92 500cc triple and it is not a 600. he also said that they came out late in '92 before the '93's came out .

when he punched up the vin# it said it was a '92. could polaris' computer be wrong??

the head is not purple...it is aluminum like the block and cylinders. i will have to get some pics and post them.

as for the number being stamped on the motor....there is nothing.. i repeat nothing on the motor what so ever other than a sticker on the recoil cover.

·
Registered
52 Posts
stock clutch set for a 1993 xlt 580 is gold primary spring,10m bushed weights and the secondary had a 34 degree helix with a red secondary spring, in second hole. gearing is 21 top , 39 bottom

for a good set up clutches put a blue primary spring ,leave weights alone.
put a 42/36 helix in with a blue secondary spring 2nd hole run motor at 8200 works best. this set up is for a stock exaust system.

sled should have a jetting sticker under the hood to tell you about the stock carbs

·
Registered
468 Posts
polaris did make a limited run of 92 xlt's with the 580 engine.it was a late release sled .it looks very similar to the 92 indy 500 as far as color and decals.but it will be a 580 not a 500 some one is screwing with you on that.polaris made some 500 triples in the early 80's which became the 600 and 650.but your sled is without a doubt the 580 triple xlt engine.polaris has made some late intro sleds in the early to mid 90's.they also made an 94 xcr 600,and a 97 xc 700 but they were also like your 92 xlt very limited in build.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i really hope so anteater...i could always measure the bore and stroke but i don't want to tear the motor down because it runs very nice.

·
Registered
216 Posts
we would "ALL" be very interested to see some pictures of this sled. Let us know when you get them. :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
:D trust me it is a 580 xlt triple i have been a polaris nut for a long time .i know my 1980 to current polaris sleds like the back of my hand .if there was any model produced and sold to the public i would know about it.i'm kinda a polaris nut.i was raised around the indy sleds and i've been crazy about them since.i do have some pic's some where but i don't have a scanner so if i get one i'll post some pics

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I have pics of the 92 XLT 580 :D

But no scanner :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
freezer burnt ...how is the riding in chelmsford???

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Only 2-3 inches :cussing:

WhiteWaterLake in Azida might be the place to ride this weekend though

I am going to check the thickness of the ice If 6 inches I will try to get out

1 - 19 of 19 Posts