Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to run a small percent of premix, like 100 to 1 in addition to the oil injection. I'm wondering if isopropyl alcohol will seperate the oil. Why I ask is that when I was mixing a 5 gallon jug today, I put the oil in a small clear measuring container and then I put in 3 ounces of isopropyl and it wouldn't mix with the oil. I'm wondering what they do together in the gas tank when mixed with the gasoline. Does anyone know if it is safe to mix the three together?

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i wouldn't mix the three together in the premix gas can but i would add it to the sled tank after filling.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would just run a better oil , like synthetic oil with a low pour point :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys. The only reason I feel that I have to put a little extra oil in the gas is because my machine seems to be a little too good on oil consumption. After burning 5 gallons of gas, sometimes it will only take 8 ounces of oil, that seems low and the pump is set to the right marks. Also it is one of those no oil at idle pumps.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by Lonewolf@Nov 14 2002, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the replys. The only reason I feel that I have to put a little extra oil in the gas is because my machine seems to be a little too good on oil consumption. After burning 5 gallons of gas, sometimes it will only take 8 ounces of oil, that seems low and the pump is set to the right marks. Also it is one of those no oil at idle pumps.
I don't think I even burn that much oil over 10 gallons. What is a no oil at idle pump. Never heard of it. Is there such a thing. If you are that concerned, I would turn up the oil pump if your that worried about it. Then you don't have to mix etc. What kind of sled is it? IS it an older one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The machine is a 99 mxz 500 and the owners manual says the oil injection pump supplies no oil to the motor at idle when it is properly syncronized with the carbuerators. I tried setting it to pump more oil and all it does is stick the rave valves real quick and also foul the plugs after very short idling periods.

·
Registered
139 Posts
No oil at idle! What happens if you idle for a long time 5 or 10 minutes. Wouldn't you do some engine damage. This doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Originally posted by paul yarek@Nov 14 2002, 06:16 PM
i wouldn't mix the three together in the premix gas can but i would add it to the sled tank after filling.
What would the difference be, Paul?

I have a 50 gallon sliptank that I use for my sleds. After the fuel guy delivers some delicious 92 octane, I put in three small containers of gas line anti-freeze. When I mix fuel for my 440 mxzx, sometimes the mixed fuel will sit in the jerry can for up to a week. No problems so far! I just don't see the difference between it sitting in the sled or a jerry can with fuel, oil and anti-freeze.

·
Registered
26 Posts
:) Do not put Iso in oil. If you really want to protect it find some FSII and put it in a very small amount though; the fsii has to be gotten from some sort of commercial airline place or if you have a contact with the fuel people at a AFB they have it.. But rather than go to all the trouble I would switch to some sort of synthetic. Where are you at? I have a couple cases of the Phillips bio synthetic I would give you..

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Originally posted by tegs@Nov 15 2002, 11:06 AM
No oil at idle! What happens if you idle for a long time 5 or 10 minutes. Wouldn't you do some engine damage. This doesn't make any sense.
Exactly !!! !!! My 98 MXZ used very little oil & I had the dealer adjust it. They had a lady driven 500 in that season seized solid. She drove so slow there was no oil getting into the motor. The no oil at idle theory was based on the Sea-doos. I can see it there as you spend very little time at idle or low speed w/ one.

I think w/ the way a lot of 'doos are coming set up, Bombi is terrified of warranty claims. W/ the lines matched, my '01 600 was roughly 23:1.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by revrnd@Nov 14 2002, 06:15 PM
The no oil at idle theory was based on the Sea-doos. I can see it there as you spend very little time at idle or low speed w/ one.

I beg to differ on that theory. I have a seadoo and you can spend a lot of time at idle. In and out of canals, and marinas etc. I still don't get this. I have never heard of it before. Never read it in my seadoo manual either. Does anyone have any literature or a link to a page on info. Sorry, Just a doubter I guess.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use iso all the time. One once per gallon, especially on the cold days. Use the isopropyl not methyl. It is the methyl that can separate the mix. The cheapest way to go is find a drug store that supplies the 99% iso. It is way cheaper and the same stuff. I've been using it for years and trust me, when its cold and the sleds are freezin' up guess who everyone comes to to borrow some iso. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lonewolf,

I'm like you in that regard. I've always run a little extra oil in my sleds, started it with Yamahas, continued it with my 583 Summit, but quit adding oil to my '02 700 Summit because I think they've got the oiler set plenty high.

I used to add methyl hydrate to the gas in my sleds and chainsaws, I used to work in Northern B.C. in the winter and I never had problems. Sleds and saws always ran fine.

I've been hearing the isopropal alcohol is better, but I'm not sure why. So I use that now.

The reason I add a little oil to the tank is because of extremely cold weather. At -35 will turn a little condensation into an impassable ice particle. Those old 340 fan cooled Yamaha motors were bulletproof, except I saw a couple burn down at extremely cold temperatures.

I also am a firm believer in reading your plugs often. You never know when something might get into your engine and alter the gas or oil flow.

I think your doing the right thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts